EGR-sorry, I'm new

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EGR-sorry, I'm new

Hi, Just been reading for the first time about this EGR valve, Does my 3.0TD 1995 have one? If so which pipe has to be blocked off, and do you block it off at both ends, where it comes off the egr, or where it comes off the engine?
    So glad I found this forum, its by far the best!
    SAM

Originally posted by SAMUEL
    Hi, Just been reading for the first time about this EGR valve, Does my 3.0TD 1995 have one? If so which pipe has to be blocked off, and do you block it off at both ends, where it comes off the egr, or where it comes off the engine?
    So glad I found this forum, its by far the best!
    SAM

Hers a couple of pics, just block where it comes off the EGR.
    Attached Files
    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
    My choice
    Back off

Comment

thats great thanks-is there only one pipe coming off the egr? I dont want to block the wrong one off. What do you do with the other end(wherever that pipe should be attatched to)?
      thanks
      sam

Comment

thats great thanks-is there only one pipe coming off the egr? I dont want to block the wrong one off. What do you do with the other end(wherever that pipe should be attatched to)?
        thanks
        sam
        it's a vacuum pipe, so you just have to pull it off.
        good idea to block off the end so nothing gets sucked up it!
        nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

thanks
          sam
          yes there is only one pipe you pull off at the EGR, it don't matter about the other end.
          From the pic attached you can see I simply folded the pipe and used an electrical cable tie to hold it in place. A bolt, ball bearing or anything pushed up the pipe will do.
          Attached Files

My 4x4
          My choice
          Back off

Comment

Hi I tried what was suggested, and found my fuel economy and performance were poorer, only getting 16 mpg as opposed to 23. So I reattatched it this morning, only to find I'd disconnected the wrong pipe. Mines a 3.0td '95, and has two units within 6 inch of each other that both look like an EGR, and both only have one pipe attatched to them. I'm presuming I blanked off the wrong one and now I'm trying the other which is slightly lower down than the top one, is bigger, and has some writing on blue and red stickers on it. This one also has a 1" white circular thing about an inch from the unit.
            Am I finally heading down the right road??

Regards

Sam

Comment

Hi I tried what was suggested, and found my fuel economy and performance were poorer, only getting 16 mpg as opposed to 23. So I reattatched it this morning, only to find I'd disconnected the wrong pipe. Mines a 3.0td '95, and has two units within 6 inch of each other that both look like an EGR, and both only have one pipe attatched to them. I'm presuming I blanked off the wrong one and now I'm trying the other which is slightly lower down than the top one, is bigger, and has some writing on blue and red stickers on it. This one also has a 1" white circular thing about an inch from the unit.
              Am I finally heading down the right road??

Regards

Sam

There is a school of thought on the Forum that suggests you don't bother messing with the EGR valve anyway. I tried it for a month or two and found no improvement in the mpg (and I measure this properly). Nor did I gain extra power (which I can't measure anyway). Reports of extra power are very subjective (no one here has actualy MEASEURED any extra torque). In the worst case though you probably won't damage your engine by trying the EGR mod.

Comment

Just filled up, and now I'm only getting 15.5 mpg???

What was the first pipe I took off? Could this have done any damage?

It did about 25mpg when I picked it up, Its had full service and redex treatment. Can you take a diesel for a tune up just like a petrol engine.
                Would it help to get it chipped?

Regards

Comment

the surf is not a racing car. if thats what you want buy one. if you want good mpg dont do any performance mods.
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                  (")_(")

Comment

Dont want a racing car, and my surf flies, I love it!

I read from a link posted on here that putting a new chip in it can improve mpg 'cause it gives it more torque so can run slower in a higher gear without struggling.

My question was why is the fuel economy slowly getting worse-I have got no mods, egr is still connected and its bog standard. If on here it said fuel economy should be about 16mpg then that would be fine, but it says between 20-30.

Just wanted to know if my cars ok.

Comment

I read from a link posted on here that putting a new chip in it can improve mpg 'cause it gives it more torque so can run slower in a higher gear without struggling.

My question was why is the fuel economy slowly getting worse-I have got no mods, egr is still connected and its bog standard. If on here it said fuel economy should be about 16mpg then that would be fine, but it says between 20-30.

are you sure its not leaking anywhere, seems a big difference to just happen in a short time
                      [font=Times New Roman][size=3]
                      [size=5][/size]
                      [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

Would double check all hoses, most of the stuff runs via vacuum so see if any are split etc. Start with the ones you pulled off and make sure they are back on correctly and not split.

My 4x4
                        My choice
                        Back off

Comment

Working...
                        X