Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.0TD hilux pickup - starting problems

Hi guys,

So my engine conversion finally got done and i now have the 1KZ-T engine running in what was a 2.2 petrol hilux.

However, the 1KZ-T now doesn't start as easily as when it was in its native home of the 4runner.

The garage that did the swap said they wired the glow-plugs onto a button which i press on the dash instead of being on the ignition key. Additionally the battery they've used is the one which was in the petrol hilux - although it is brand new.

What do you guys think is the likely culpret?

Cheers, Paul.

edit: more info - the engine turns over ok at seeminly the correct speed but it takes a while for it to catch and fire up.
    Last edited by monsterer; 15 February 2007, 16:14.

the battery may well struggle, failing that i'd suggest a problem with the wiring for the plugs, maybe not got any afterglow on or something like that. How do you operate the button, push on-push off, push once, push and hold then release when it's started?
    =========
    =SOLD UP!=
    =========

Comment

Originally posted by nero279
      the battery may well struggle, failing that i'd suggest a problem with the wiring for the plugs, maybe not got any afterglow on or something like that. How do you operate the button, push on-push off, push once, push and hold then release when it's started?
      Its push and hold for 10 seconds, then release and turn key.

If i try one of the 4runner's batteries, would that work any better in theory?

Comment

Originally posted by monsterer
        Its push and hold for 10 seconds, then release and turn key.

If i try one of the 4runner's batteries, would that work any better in theory?
        3.0's have up to 120sec afterglow period after its started, but this should effect when it starts, just how it runs after starting, but you want the glowplugs on while you turn the key, they cool down quickly. If the derv isn't squirting on to a actual glowing plug it might not start so readily.
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
          3.0's have up to 120sec afterglow period after its started, but this should effect when it starts, just how it runs after starting, but you want the glowplugs on while you turn the key, they cool down quickly. If the derv isn't squirting on to a actual glowing plug it might not start so readily.
          Ahhh, i didn't know about afterglow - so how is that controlled? It does run a bit $$$$ for about 4 seconds afer it catches...

Comment

Okey guys - is there any way i can tell the glow-plugs are working correctly? Including afterglow?

Cheers, Paul.

Comment

I'd put a multimeter on the bus bar, check for 12V while you press the switch.

Then you need to disconnect the bus bar to text the continuity of each glowplug individually if you think they are still playing up.

I'd say without the glowplugs wired properly through the ECU, glow relay and key, it'll not work properly (ie automatically).

If they are working fine when you press the switch, all you have to is hold in on for 10 secs or so after its started and you should be OK. The preheat on the 3.0 is only 2-3 secs before the light goes out, so you don't need to hold the switch on long before starting it.

Comment

don't ask me why but shouldn't the plugs not have 11v for some obscure reason? I can't think or begin to explain why but i'm sure most of the plugs you can buy are 11v
                =========
                =SOLD UP!=
                =========

Comment

Originally posted by nero279
                  don't ask me why but shouldn't the plugs not have 11v for some obscure reason? I can't think or begin to explain why but i'm sure most of the plugs you can buy are 11v
                  11 or 9 are the options, it doesn't matter as long as they are getting something in this case.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                    11 or 9 are the options, it doesn't matter as long as they are getting something in this case.

Ok, thanks tony - guess i need to invest in a multimeter.

Comment

Working...
                    X