more back end probs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• more back end probs

Just had the rear diff breather fixed,oil seals replaced,new brake shoes,etc.1 week later the effing brakes are binding on yet again.Are there any known probs that Toyota should know about 3rd gen rear axles and all attatched components causing probs?If so I think it's time this should be put to bed for good as it has cost me an absolute fortune in lost time from work.I am rapidly losing faith with this vehicle AND Toyota!!!!
    Powered by ????

Is the handbrake releasing fully?
    The rear brakes are self adjusting, so try applying the handbrake on and off a few times to adjust the shoes.
    Don't touch the footbrake as you do this though.

Comment

There has been problems in Australia with rear seals on the 3rd generation. Are the new ones leaking again?

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev
        There has been problems in Australia with rear seals on the 3rd generation. Are the new ones leaking again?

Nev
        The seals aren't leaking,just the brakes binding(a new set had to be fitted as they were contaminated with oil from the leaking seals) which is causing a lot of heat as you can imagine,plus the car judders slightly when driven at over 50mph.
        Powered by ????

Comment

When a Toyota garage last did the seal on mine they set up the brake on the same side too tight. I had the same judders when the drum heated up too much. I had to stop at a local garage to get them to back off the adjuster a bit - I was 45 mins into a long journey and didn't have any tools in the car

Comment

Originally posted by Rob
            When a Toyota garage last did the seal on mine they set up the brake on the same side too tight. I had the same judders when the drum heated up too much. I had to stop at a local garage to get them to back off the adjuster a bit - I was 45 mins into a long journey and didn't have any tools in the car
            Can you back off the adjuster without opening the brake drum?
            Powered by ????

Comment

Originally posted by RobD
              Can you back off the adjuster without opening the brake drum?
              Yeah, there is a little slot in the back plate. People try and set the rear shoes with the adjuster wheel, all you need to do is pull the hand brake untill it stops clicking, then thye are set. If you can't pull the drum off reasonably easily by hand, then they are to tight.

But make sure the wheel cylinders arn't jammed.

The issues with the rear axle are the seals, and leaking seal give the opposite results to binding brakes!!! Sounds like someone reinstalled it wrong.
              4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

They told me not to pull the handbrake on too far as it will over adjust,seems ok so far,keep looking out the window to make sure it's still sitting in the drive(which is pretty steep).
                Powered by ????

Comment

Originally posted by RobD
                  They told me not to pull the handbrake on too far as it will over adjust,
                  I think you should stop going there, seriously, thats pi$$poor advise they should know better if they are going anywhere near your truck.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

more probs

my 3rd gen is giving same problems,initially the brakes would grab when moving slowly in traffic(when being applied) so removed rear shoes and gound a chamfer on leading and trailing edges re fitted, all ok for a long time. occasionally since then the surf starts juddering so pull over and the rear drums are extremely hot, so hot the first time that i actually burnt a finger(havent been daft enough since ) if i then continue my journey after say 10 mins i can travel the same and sometimes even further when it will start again, the shoes are not binding on the drum, this last time it happened i was 20 miles from home, then another 20 miles later it happened again, got to my destination allowed them to cool and removed wheels and they are both running free.
                    my front discs have both warped ?
                    i am wondering if the fault lies in the servo or master cylinder not allowing the fluid to return thus making brakes over heat and not a fault in all four corners.
                    i notice that just above the servo there is what looks like a fuel filter, is this some sort of pressure valve?
                    help please, mark

Comment

p.s. drove home no problem at all ?????????????? approx 50 miles

Comment

I had a similar problem with a master cylinder on a pickup once. This locked the front discs by the result of overheating. The vehicle would not move until I allowed fluid out the bleeders.

There is a residual valve (which is basically a very very small hole in the master cylinder leading back to the reservoir) which allows the return of brake fluid. (at least on a Mk 3 Pickup) This contols the return of fluid past the piston in order for the pads to just move away from the discs or drums. If this hole blocks the brakes will start to lock on.

Also I agree with the over adjusted clicks on the rear cylinders scenario. They are self adjusting and any garage need only adjust near enough as the handbrake should do the rest of the adjustment and keep them adjusted over time. You can pull the handle hard several times and reverse and apply it to make sure.
                        I don't know the 3rd gen set up but on the pickup there are other adjusters like a lockstop on the backing plate which set the amount the Y-cable returns when the handbrake is released. This can cause one side or both brakes to drag enough to get hot and start the problems. Someone should confirm the 3rd gen set up before you chase after these suggested remedies as I a can only offer my issues from a pickup.
                        Smack it with a 16lb Hammer and it will come off!

Comment

I had a problem with the brakes applying on my 3rd Gen, it turned out to be that the brake master cylinder was faulty. After braking the fluid was not being sucked back & keeping the brakes slightly applied which caused the discs to get hot & warp. Then as it got worse over the next couple of weeks the steering wheel started to shudder due to the warped discs. Then it got worse & the brakes stayed on completely bringing me to a complete stop automatically while driving on a motorway!!!! Which was quite scary!! new brake master cylinder, new discs & pads & all was well again.

Comment

Working...
                          X