No announcement yet.

how slippy does it have to be (ooh er!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how slippy does it have to be (ooh er!)

LOL couldn't resist that topic title

As I live out in the sticks the roads are full of mud at the moment and really are greasy. I can't pull out of a junction with any speed without doing a massive donut type wheelspin at the moment.

Now I know you shouldn't have the 4 wheel drive engaged in the dry, but when the roads are greasy is it ok to engage it in 4x4 high then?

I fear I may take a bend soon and put a couple of tons of surf in the hedge if I don't do something. Of course my tyres could be shot too which prolly doesn't help.

Originally posted by jaydee
    LOL couldn't resist that topic title

As I live out in the sticks the roads are full of mud at the moment and really are greasy. I can't pull out of a junction with any speed without doing a massive donut type wheelspin at the moment.

Now I know you shouldn't have the 4 wheel drive engaged in the dry, but when the roads are greasy is it ok to engage it in 4x4 high then?

I fear I may take a bend soon and put a couple of tons of surf in the hedge if I don't do something. Of course my tyres could be shot too which prolly doesn't help.

I wouldn't use 4WD all the time on the road, unles there's snow or ice. You only need to drive around a bend that's suddenly gone bone dry and expensive noises will be heard from around the front of your truck.

What tyres do you have, and make sure the pressures aren't too high.

Comment

they're Cooper discoverer A/T. There's tons of tread on them although they are showing signs of cracking so I don't know how old they are, they might be the ones it was imported with.

Is anyone else doing donuts out of junctions at the moment or is it just me

Comment

they're Cooper discoverer A/T. There's tons of tread on them although they are showing signs of cracking so I don't know how old they are, they might be the ones it was imported with.

i can wheel spin it in the dry coming out of junctions
        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Have you tried putting some carpet tacks inside your right shoe?
          It may help.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
            Have you tried putting some carpet tacks inside your right shoe?
            It may help.
            that'll do it

Assuming its a mixture of my heavy right foot and old cr@p tyres does anyone have a recomendation for some purely road tyres? There's a lot of reviews on here for off road tyres but not many for road ones. I'll get another set of rims for some beefy off road tyres in time but for now its on the road nearly all the time.

Comment

that'll do it

Assuming its a mixture of my heavy right foot and old cr@p tyres does anyone have a recomendation for some purely road tyres? There's a lot of reviews on here for off road tyres but not many for road ones. I'll get another set of rims for some beefy off road tyres in time but for now its on the road nearly all the time.
              I think BFG Long Trail are quite well thought of.

Comment

Coming out of the village the other day, I ha 4WD engaged as a bit icy (it's a 3rd gen) and still managed to spin all 4 wheels and end up facing the wrong wasy

it was early so not much traffic,butthe lady in the micra facing me nearly s**t herself

fun times !!

hawaii
                I'm not overweight, I'm undertall!

Comment

I lost the back of mine last night due to that new grit with added danger inducing properties. It's got animal fats or vegetable extracts in it. I reckon Silicone as well!
                  That stuff should be banned! I have seen numerous incidents due to this stuff.

Comment

i have the same prob you just have to take it easy or master the art of power sliding in a 4x4

Comment

hard cracking tyres arn't a good thing for a start . My surf came with tyres like this and was a death trap on corners etc. i swapped onto bridgestone duellers the difference was instantly noticed , better grip , very low noise levels . But as mentioned before a heavy foot and a boosting turbo will still get the rears spinning . New rubber and a lighter gas foot will help no end.

Comment

Working...
                      X