Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch/Gearbox help

Some advive needed.
    Ok so it started with the clutch slipping.
    Booked in to local garage who i know for new 1
    When i went to collect it there was a clatter clatter clatter sound.....

this only happens in neutral @ tickover with clutch up (engaged)
    when clutch pressed it stops

if revs are increased when in neutral by only 50 to 100 rpm it stops

it i put transfer box in neutral and main box in gear it stops.

when driving theres no noise.

it sound to be coming from gearbox or bell housing.

didnt take car as complained to garage. they pulled out the box again and checked all the new clutch. i was there and checked with them. All seems ok.

The guy at the garage says he thinks its a gearbox shaft or shaft bearings that are worn and nothing to do with what he has done.

He says that disturbing the box could have cause the the problem come to light.

he also suggested that using a thicker oil than semi 75w90 would help.

also he said if i get another box he will fit it for free.

has he done anything that could cause this eg letting the box drop before pulling the shaft clear

or is it a dodgy clutch kit or bearing

Plus if i get a new box is the 2.4 and 3.0 the same main box.

Any advice and help greatfully recieved

Thanks in advance
    Jon
    BEWARE OF THE REAPER

How long's a piece of string?

Difficult to diagnose without actually hearing the noise but there are a number of possible causes.
    Yes your garage man could definately have caused a problem by straining the dual mass flywheel when they removed the box.

The dual mass flywheel should have been inspected when the clutch was removed.

Have they damaged the new clutch centre plate when they refitted the box?

Was the release bearing changed when they did the clutch.

These are all potential problems and only your garage man knows...strange he should volunteer to fit another box for free...I wouldn't if I was sure the problem was not of my making!

Comment

Originally posted by The Mechanic
      Difficult to diagnose without actually hearing the noise but there are a number of possible causes.
      Yes your garage man could definately have caused a problem by straining the dual mass flywheel when they removed the box.

The dual mass flywheel should have been inspected when the clutch was removed.

Have they damaged the new clutch centre plate when they refitted the box?

Was the release bearing changed when they did the clutch.

These are all potential problems and only your garage man knows...strange he should volunteer to fit another box for free...I wouldn't if I was sure the problem was not of my making!
      Its a uk spec truck which have a solid fly wheel. it had a full clutch kit, friction plate, cover plate and release bearing fitted.
      BEWARE OF THE REAPER

Comment

AH ha.

Sounds like your man has created a fault by streesinf the 1st motion shaft (input shaft) when they hauled the box out. However these bearings are quite tuff for obvious reasons. The only other obvious type of fault is if the diaphragm has got a bent finger or two, these would rattle agianst the release bearing at low revs and cause a little clutch pedal judder in operation.
        Hope this helps you.

Comment

Another thought....

Did anyone check the spigot bearing (crankshaft support bearing for the 1st motion shaft)?

Comment

Did anyone check the spigot bearing (crankshaft support bearing for the 1st motion shaft)?
            I think he did check the spigot bearing.

Update:-
            After part searching for a new box i was amazed that for similar mileage boxes the price varied form £230 up to £600.
            i had the choice of a box with 46k miles in essex for £470 or a box with 48k miles in the good old north for £270.

Guess which i went for lol both carry a 30day guarentee.
            New box should arrive 2moz and b fitted by the end of the week. (all being well)

Ill let you know if i cures it.

Unfortunatly i cant prove that the garage has caused it so i will have to stand it.

ill keep you up 2 date.
            BEWARE OF THE REAPER

Comment

Well i got the new box and transfer box delivered on wednesday. Weighs a ton.
              Tomorrow (Monday) its booked in the box fitting. I guess ill find out more when i get it back.
              BEWARE OF THE REAPER

Comment

Well still no car.
                I rang the garage and they said yeh just finishing it off and come down in about an hour.
                When i got there the truck was on the ramp and the gear boxes (1 old and 1 new one) on the floor.
                When they put in the new box they said the clanking noise was quieter but still there so the took it out again.

Lets see what tomorrow brings.
                BEWARE OF THE REAPER

Comment

I bet that realyy pi$$ed you off! Hope its sorted soon Cause its going to SNOW
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                  (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by Grimreeper
                    Well still no car.
                    I rang the garage and they said yeh just finishing it off and come down in about an hour.
                    When i got there the truck was on the ramp and the gear boxes (1 old and 1 new one) on the floor.
                    When they put in the new box they said the clanking noise was quieter but still there so the took it out again.

Lets see what tomorrow brings.
                    They are gonna be really embarressed if it still makes the noise after fitting a new box. Kinda proves there is nothing wrong with the old one!!

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                      They are gonna be really embarressed if it still makes the noise after fitting a new box. Kinda proves there is nothing wrong with the old one!!

It did make the same noise when they put in the new box. but not as bad.
                      He said he wasnt happy thats why they took it out again.
                      They r now stripping all the clutch off again.

it only went in for a new clutch. and so far the old box has been taken out 3 times and the new box fitted then taken out. Glad im not paying for all this.

The only common things left are the new clutch & bearing and the thrust bearing fork lever, as they used the origonal 1 and not the new 1. Apparently the new fork was sticking and would not allow the cluch to engage.
                      BEWARE OF THE REAPER

Comment

So now ......

They must be quite quick at taking the box out and putting it back in again.
                        Must be close to being trained to remove and refit itself now!

I trust that they've checked to make sure that the starter motor is not causing the fault...ie wrong length bolt in the upper mounting

Can't wait to find out what will be the eventual cure. There must be quite a few reading your posts who would love to be a fly on the wall in that garage.

Comment

They must be quite quick at taking the box out and putting it back in again.
                          Must be close to being trained to remove and refit itself now!

I trust that they've checked to make sure that the starter motor is not causing the fault...ie wrong length bolt in the upper mounting

Can't wait to find out what will be the eventual cure. There must be quite a few reading your posts who would love to be a fly on the wall in that garage.
                          Called in to garage this evening and its still in bits. They have taken off all the clutch and checked everything for free play or marks where it may be catching and checked the fly wheel (solid).
                          They are now baffled and p*ssed off at not finding anything.
                          They have said if they cant find anything by wed night then they will just have to put it back together and leave it.

The only things that remain common and havent been changed are the gear leavers and the thrust bearing fork.
                          Lets see what tomorrow brings....again.
                          BEWARE OF THE REAPER

Comment

Originally posted by Grimreeper
                            It did make the same noise when they put in the new box. but not as bad.
                            He said he wasnt happy thats why they took it out again.
                            They r now stripping all the clutch off again.

it only went in for a new clutch. and so far the old box has been taken out 3 times and the new box fitted then taken out. Glad im not paying for all this.

The only common things left are the new clutch & bearing and the thrust bearing fork lever, as they used the origonal 1 and not the new 1. Apparently the new fork was sticking and would not allow the cluch to engage.
                            Maybe a long shot but is the clutch release bearing the correct one as they do sometimes put the wrong one in kits. This may explain why the new fork wont work properly. If I where you I would compare the two side by side cos if you refit the old one to a new pressure plate it will rattle like hell because they "bed" together in use from new. Hope this helps...

Comment

Just noticed Milners offer choice of clutches for a kzn130 type surf which I think yours loosely is.....has the garage fitted the right one?

Comment

Working...
                              X