exhaust options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• exhaust options?

not a question specific to the 3lts auto maybe, but just in case there are some variables, i'll post it here..

really, i haven't been lazy, and have done a little research..i think the solution is at hand, so just putting this to judge and jury for a unanimous verdict..

my beastie is 12 years old..having now done 100.000 km, the exhaust is now developing a tailpipe rattle, slight resonation at around "idle up" rpm and a whiff of fumes whilst driving with the driver side window open..

roughtrax do a complete system

milners do a complete system

toyota do a complete system

the "fit" on all bar the toyota exhaust can be tricky..usually resulting in clatter on start up, until manipulated..all systems carry a three year warranty, so, yer takes yer pick.

but...the alternative is one of those snazzy tailor made stainless pipes that aren't neccessarily much more expensive than the stock item? (i saw £350 made and fitted mentioned somewhere)

now if those babies are as good as they look, then surely thats the way to go? there was a mention of inferior stainless, giving rise to surface tarnish..which kinda put a dampner on things...but i'm still buzzing at the thought of having a shiny pipe exiting from the rear wheel arch..i assume the offside arch?

anyone care to comment? please? i live in norfolk..i have a friend who can fit a stock exhaust..but..is there anyone local, and recomended that can be trusted to pipe my stallion? anything i need to know about silencing..getting it bolted to the head re gaskets etc etc (i note roughtraxs admit to some of their manifold mount thingies cracking..cast iron i recall)

oh, and i need two new batteries...no, lets do the exhaust first..i'll get back to the batteries..

I have stainless and not only does it look good but it sounds awesome and I reckon my 3rd gen is a helluva lot faster than my old 2nd gen...
    [I][B]96 3rd Gen in bluuuueeeee[/B]I]

Comment

thanks for posting that image Angusglover..they look nice! i'm not sure if i saw a photograph of your vehicle before, or wether some other member has posted thumbnails showing a similar twin zaust set-up?

i'm quite sold on the idea of stainless..i was a little concearned that diverting from the origional design may prove detrimental to the engine, but thats mainly due to my lack of understanding, regarding engines! for example, the "roughtrax" website sings the praises of it's genuine toyota back box, given that the design is compatible with the engine output..didn't mean much to me, but who am i to judge? hee hee

anyway, i might be jumping the gun a little..having not yet done a proper inspection, (might even wash the car tomorrow too)..i'm just assuming a total replacement will be imminent..but, angusglover..i see you are Essex based, or at least some of the time..could you let me know where you had your stainless pipes done, how long it takes and if i can be really cheeky, how much it cost?..thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by mickey
        thanks for posting that image Angusglover..they look nice! i'm not sure if i saw a photograph of your vehicle before, or wether some other member has posted thumbnails showing a similar twin zaust set-up?

i'm quite sold on the idea of stainless..i was a little concearned that diverting from the origional design may prove detrimental to the engine, but thats mainly due to my lack of understanding, regarding engines! for example, the "roughtrax" website sings the praises of it's genuine toyota back box, given that the design is compatible with the engine output..didn't mean much to me, but who am i to judge? hee hee

anyway, i might be jumping the gun a little..having not yet done a proper inspection, (might even wash the car tomorrow too)..i'm just assuming a total replacement will be imminent..but, angusglover..i see you are Essex based, or at least some of the time..could you let me know where you had your stainless pipes done, how long it takes and if i can be really cheeky, how much it cost?..thanks in advance.

Were you thinking of this thread?....
        http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ight=powerflow

Comment

Originally posted by angusglover
          I reckon my 3rd gen is a helluva lot faster than my old 2nd gen...
          plastic is lighter than metal
          Did I mention I have a BLUE one
          Tony

Comment

ahem..quickly sidestepping Fatfire's remark regarding angusglover's 3rd gen.. yes Vince, that was indeed the twin piped surf i had in mind..having just perused the Powerflow website, i'm not sure i'm much the wiser, and naturally, there is no hint of cost...however, there are three dealers with a fifty mile catchment of my hometown, so i guess it wouldn't hurt to get a quote..

apparently, all their stainless is sourced from South Africa..just a little factoid for ya..

there is a vast selection of tailpipe options, and some of the twin outlet ones look kinda dandy...and therefore if i go with my initial thought of having a single pipe that exits by the rear wheel arch, then thats probably the option i'll go for.looks like Hellmett went for a 2.5 inch pipe..is this larger than the standard diameter? if there is an increase in power, and fuel economy...is there a downside at all? other than cost? i'm not overly keen on a nice sounding wrecked turbo or anything?..its my only concearn, as the longevity, look, enhanced engine thunder and roar all soumnd rather appealing...its getting to the point where if, on inspection..my "reverberation" is down to a loose bracket....i might just get it ripped out and replaced anyway...

Comment

looking for something like this
              Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

That looks like mine, 'cept mine's the other side of the wheel!

Comment

Originally posted by joker??
                  looking for something like this

might be.. ..yeah, thats the baby..Vince might have trumped you with his pre rear exit though..i'm kinda liking that, plus less pipe equals less bucks maybe? tell you something though..seeing all those underbelly shots reminds me i really need to waxoyl mine after its endured this winter..its really getting that, well, "rusty" look..especially the rear axle and front wishbones for some reason...that stainless is gonna reflect that to a wider audience..

i'll do a search for pics of Bushwhacker's rig...Joker..is your's a powerflow by the way?..the only price i've seen posted was Hellmett's £350 stirling..i'm guessing thats a cheap deal, right?

Comment

Originally posted by mickey
                    might be.. ..yeah, thats the baby..Vince might have trumped you with his pre rear exit though..i'm kinda liking that, plus less pipe equals less bucks maybe? tell you something though..seeing all those underbelly shots reminds me i really need to waxoyl mine after its endured this winter..its really getting that, well, "rusty" look..especially the rear axle and front wishbones for some reason...that stainless is gonna reflect that to a wider audience..

i'll do a search for pics of Bushwhacker's rig...Joker..is your's a powerflow by the way?..the only price i've seen posted was Hellmett's £350 stirling..i'm guessing thats a cheap deal, right?
                    i think thats about the average price for a stainless system.i will be getting one at some point
                    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Exhaust Options

Hi Mikey you should give Power & Performance in Honingham a look, a couple of my work mates have had Stainless Pipes made-up by them and were well pleased, one was for a Metro-Cab Taxi (which is powered by 2.4 Toyota Turbo lump) and the other was for a V8 engined Ford Pop', i'm gonna give them a call soon as my zaust has almost had it and MOT is due in May.

Comment

Becks, that request for zaust info was made back in January 2007!
                        Anyway, the problem has long since been addressed, and guess where I went to source me zaust? Power and performance in Honingham! So well anticipated that man

Actually, one year on and i'm still chuffed with it..She shines up like a good-un. The guys suggested that it was only worth replacing it from a point near the front back..They said the bit from the engine was good for a few more miles yet..Lifetime guarantee too..AND there was another surf in for some stainless pipework on the day I went! They'll do a good job for you, I'm sure you'll be chuffed.

Happy Christmas

Comment

Oops sorry bout that didnt look at thread date obv' , now gonna need exhaust for mine so givin Power & perf' a ring

Comment

Working...
                          X