Loose steering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loose steering

I've searched and read the archives but as I'm jackless just now I can't do some of the tests.

The steering does feel slack and when I reach into the engine bay I can grab the steering column above the box and turn it by hand so the steering wheel moves an inch or so in both directions.

Would this point to anything in particular?

(I'm a bit baffled as it was only MOT'ed last week so I'd have thought something like this would have been picked out.)

Dave

sounds similar to mine. I thought it was the idler arm from what all the others say. but i have just checked this and it seems fine. i'm not sure whether they are all just this slack.

i don't fancy a new box. sounds expensive!! maybe it can be adjusted??

hope we get some answers. i'm off to scan the forum for some.

Comment

Well a new steering Idler arm sorted me out! I couldn't feel any give in it but replacing it helped.

Also tyre pressures.

Dave

Comment

Does the 3rd gen have a steering idler arm?
        [I][B]96 3rd Gen in bluuuueeeee[/B]I]

Comment

Originally posted by angusglover
          Does the 3rd gen have a steering idler arm?
          Nope. Apparently (I was dragged over hot coals last time I mentioned that).

Comment

"The steering does feel slack and when I reach into the engine bay I can grab the steering column above the box and turn it by hand so the steering wheel moves an inch or so in both directions."

isnt that normal ? if you turn the steering column by hand, i would expect the steering wheel to move?
            Landcruiser Colorado
            Sub. Forester

Comment

Yes it is supposed to be like that...

There is a coupling in the steering column/shaft that allows a small amount of what feels like free play (when the vehicle is jacked up front wheels just clear of the ground any slight steering wheel movement is seen at the road wheels...that proves the flexible nature of the coupling).

The purpose of this flexible coupling is to allow for sudden reverse steering movements back through to the steering wheel being too violent when off- roading....something Mr L. A. Rover could have fitted to his off-roaders.

It doesn't feel quite right on the road, feels like the box needs adjusting but it doesn't alter it (I know because I tried it). Now I'm used to it and as your's has just passed it's MOT don't worry too much...see if you can try another Surf to compare the play.

Comment

Mines the same. I put it down to 200,000kms of slight wear in everything, though nothing bad in just one thing. If you want to make yourself feel better about it, don't drive another Surf, drive a Land Rover.

Comment

Working...
                X