Surf wont start...just get a nasty clicking sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surf wont start...just get a nasty clicking sound

someone has suggested this might be the solonoid used to kick the starter motor into action...could this be right ?

If so will hitting it (gently) with a hammer work and can someone point it out as I am mechanically challenged ;-)

Rubbish timing as I'm supposed to be taking the kids to see their grandparents over Christmas, if I don't have the surf there is minimum present storage room in the wife's Panda.

So hoping your feeling festive & helpful,

Many Thanks & Seasons Greetings to you all

Andy
    Stop the World !!! I want to get off.

Originally posted by HiluxorBust
    someone has suggested this might be the solonoid used to kick the starter motor into action...could this be right ?

If so will hitting it (gently) with a hammer work and can someone point it out as I am mechanically challenged ;-)

Rubbish timing as I'm supposed to be taking the kids to see their grandparents over Christmas, if I don't have the surf there is minimum present storage room in the wife's Panda.

So hoping your feeling festive & helpful,

Many Thanks & Seasons Greetings to you all

Andy
    Yeah, its pitted contacts in your starter.

A refurb kit is available from roughtrax and probably milners as well.

Its easy on the 3 ltr but murder on a 2.4.
    gentle tapping with a broom handle on the casing will usually get you going for a while but it will only work for a short time. Get it done asap.

Al.
    I used to have a surf me!

Comment

check to make sure the wires on the back are done up if they come loose they can cause this problem if not then it will your solonoid
      I HAVE FOUND JESUS he was behind the sofa

Comment

Also get the condition of your battery or batteries tested asap. Low battery voltage is a common cause of starter contacts burning out (I speak from experience!).
        If you're gonna have one ...... have a good'un!

Comment

get a load test done on your batteries first. if they are ok then it will be the 2 contacts in the started motor. it only cost me $8 AU for the contacts. dont bother doing the plunger unless the surface that makes contact with the contacts are pitted. if your doing it yourself make sure you disconnect the batteries first and make sure you dont over tighten and damage the baker light (the brown things that are used for insulation). if you brake it good luck finding a replacement.
          can anyone explain to me why one side of the contact wear out more than the other?
          cheers

Comment

Working...
          X