Intercooler on 2nd Gen 3.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intercooler on 2nd Gen 3.0

Has anyone stuck an intercooler on a 2nd gen 3 litre?
    I see there are a few 2.4s that have been done, but looking under the bonnet of my 3.0 it seems that there is a little room where the standard air filter goes, but the cast ali pipe from the turbo over the top of the engine would have to be thrown away or cut short as it carries various clips and the throttle cable brackets etc.
    Got any ideas?
    I have a nice L200 'cooler on my workbench and it's a great excuse to be in the shed over Christmas..................... ..
    If anyone has got a spare cast ali pipe that goes from the turbo to the inlet on a 3.0 that I can cut about to make it work I would be grateful.
    Please help. Doing this could save me from the inlaws.

Scubasurf on here done it a couple of years back. He mounted his in the front behind the bumper if I remember.

Comment

Hi Bushwacker,
      Thanks for your input. My thoughts were along those lines, but it's great to hear that someone has already done one. I was going to shorten the existing ali inlet pipe above the rubber hose from the turbo, run a 90 bend from the top of the turbo forward to the front of the motor with ali pipe and into the 'cooler. Then back along the same route and 90 up into the existing pipe. This would then allow me to keep the majority of the original ali pipe along with all its brackets etc.
      I know its near the exhaust so I was going to lag the return hose to try and keep it as cool as poss.
      It would be great to see how it was hung at the front.

Comment

Originally posted by rodthrutheblock
        Hi Bushwacker,
        Thanks for your input. My thoughts were along those lines, but it's great to hear that someone has already done one. I was going to shorten the existing ali inlet pipe above the rubber hose from the turbo, run a 90 bend from the top of the turbo forward to the front of the motor with ali pipe and into the 'cooler. Then back along the same route and 90 up into the existing pipe. This would then allow me to keep the majority of the original ali pipe along with all its brackets etc.
        I know its near the exhaust so I was going to lag the return hose to try and keep it as cool as poss.
        It would be great to see how it was hung at the front.
        http://hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1558

Comment

Originally posted by rodthrutheblock
          I have a nice L200 'cooler on my workbench and it's a great excuse to be in the shed over Christmas
          Please help. Doing this could save me from the inlaws.
          I know the In law syndrome - now divorced so what joy.

Go for the mod - the 3.0L is crying out for it.

I used an L200 on mine, my truck 2.4, Warrior 2.5 so a good match. At higher revs this cooler may restrict flow through your engine. Anyway, go for it, try it out, and if it aint as good as you wanted, stick a Trooper (3.1L) cooler in there.

GET DOWN THAT SHED AND GET CUTTING.

Have a look on ebay for hoses
          Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Thanks for the support LB and for the link BW. I have sussed ebay for the hoses as prices seem to vary wildly in the real world. Certainly the 'lax power' place nearest to me were having a laugh - except they weren't.
            When this is done I can get back to the job of turning my Renault 4 van into a mid-engined rwd track day car using MR2 running gear...................
            I left home many years ago and I can still hear my mum saying, 'why can't you just leave things alone?'
            Why? Cos, it makes me smile.

Comment

I see that you have owned the odd landy, and have now converted - well done old chap.

You'll be well used to holding a spanner after all that time with landy's.

Mail me your addy and I'll send you write up on my cooler mod - use the pm function.
              Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Working...
              X