ABS Sensor Touching!!! HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ABS Sensor Touching!!! HELP

Hello all, My GEN 3 is in getting new seals and bearings on the back, I have just called the guy and its all going well. However, He is a bit stumpped !!!! the seals on both sides have gone but the bearings are in good condition with no play. when he removed the half shafts, he has spotted that on the passenger side rear, the abs pick up ring and sensor (in the axel) have been touching!!!! the drivers side (was leaking but only a little) is fine with no sign of contact.
    Dose anyone know what might cause this!! He is going to have a look but thinks the ABS sensor on the axel may have been installed at some point with a washer or seal missing?? hence is .5mm lower and touching... Dose this make sence? as he said the bearings are fine.. Any help from you tech lot would be great OR anyone had this problem before? CHeers
    Last edited by Toylux; 14 December 2006, 13:51.

it mite not be the bearing gone it could be the inner oil seal that sits in the axle itself but why you have the axle taken apart you may as well replace the bearings as they arent that expensive and it will save you having to do them in the future. as for the abs just a couple of things to check are the wear marks even all around if not the grooved wheel could be distorted as they are very soft metal but the easy fix is to remove the sensor (only one screw)and place a very thin washer to raise it a tad again you will know if you have done it to much because the abs warning like will come on
    Last edited by kiowa; 14 December 2006, 22:21.
    I HAVE FOUND JESUS he was behind the sofa

Comment

Thanks for that!! I understand the wear is all the way round the ring.... Im wondering if a Shagged bearing in the past damaged it!! and its old damage!!! As like i say the current bearings are fine, Mind you they are being replaced anyway while its apart just to be sure... I also wondered if the sensor in the Axel (pick up for the ring) has been installed wrong? maybe that sould have some sort of gasket or washer!!! I should get the car back today (there ive said it so now it wont be ready until Monday LOL) so when i get it back ill ask the question. Fingers crosseed its Nothing serious?

Comment

Right quick update, The ABS sensor seems to have been damaged in the past when a bearing failed, not major as it still works which leads me onto my next piont. the bearings didnt get done this time afterall, the chap at the garage said they looked ace and nearly new, he thinks whats happend is a bearing failed in the past, damaged the abs, both bearings then replaced but for some stupid reason they didnt do the seals WHY!!!!! i have no idea, but its all done now and back on the road....

Comment

Working...
        X