4wd abuse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4wd abuse

sorry about the stream of noobish questions...

...but here's another one...

As I'm reading through old posts I notice a lot of people with 2nd Gens manage to put the 4wd on to go to the shops etc. I also know that on 2nd Gens, the 4wd is only supposed to be used sparingly on loose ground
    (am I right so far?)

Now I'm still in the market for a nice looking 2nd Gen 3.0 - is it possible to permanently damage anything by inappropriately using the 4wd

How will I know if the 4wd has been damaged by misuse? are there any tell tale signs?

Originally posted by murphcbr6
    sorry about the stream of noobish questions...

...but here's another one...

As I'm reading through old posts I notice a lot of people with 2nd Gens manage to put the 4wd on to go to the shops etc. I also know that on 2nd Gens, the 4wd is only supposed to be used sparingly on loose ground
    (am I right so far?)

Now I'm still in the market for a nice looking 2nd Gen 3.0 - is it possible to permanently damage anything by inappropriately using the 4wd

How will I know if the 4wd has been damaged by misuse? are there any tell tale signs?
    You are right so far. Yes, you could ruin it by using the 4wd. The transmission would feel like sh1t. You'd know.

And that moment of anticlimax, ladies and gentlemen was post number 1,000. I'd like to thank my mum, dad, god and t-cut.

Comment

you can put it into 4wd as long as you keep the steering going straight but only for a short distance tho on tarmac
      https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

transmission

can you elaborate Sancho? - remember I'm new to Surfs - I've only test driven a couple so far.

and I used to have a Landy - so my threshold for things feeling like sh1t is quite high lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho
          And that moment of anticlimax, ladies and gentlemen was post number 1,000.
          'Round of applause'

Did the last hundred or so very quickly indeed!!!!!!!
          It just does, OK?

Comment

You are right so far. Yes, you could ruin it by using the 4wd. The transmission would feel like sh1t. You'd know.

And that moment of anticlimax, ladies and gentlemen was post number 1,000. I'd like to thank my mum, dad, god and t-cut.
            drinks are on you then..
            https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by dave.j.robbo
              'Round of applause'

Did the last hundred or so very quickly indeed!!!!!!!
              It's a logarithmic thing. You start off asking the odd question, then you start recycling answers, then you start taking the p1ss out of people and the floodgates are open.

Comment

can you elaborate Sancho? - remember I'm new to Surfs - I've only test driven a couple so far.

and I used to have a Landy - so my threshold for things feeling like sh1t is quite high lol.
                In short, no. I've never driven a motor with a knackered transmission and don't actually know very much about what goes on with cars. I can build you a block of flats in a jiffy though .

Think about it though - the permanent damage ('wind up' in the transmission) is going to produce a whole load of weird noises, vibrations, strange steering (possibly) and god knows what else. If there's nothing wrong in neutral and it all goes weird when you put it in gear it's knackered. If it sounds, feels and drives like anything else, it's fine.

It should go in a straight line, quietly (ish) and change gear smooth and happy.

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce1067
                  drinks are on you then..
                  I just cracked a tinny open for you Richard. Get here in five minutes and it's yours. Otherwise I'm having it.

Comment

It's a logarithmic thing. You start off asking the odd question, then you start recycling answers, then you start taking the p1ss out of people and the floodgates are open.
                    That method's worked wonders for my post count.

Comment

The Surf is normally a quite smooth vehicle. If you have juddering or suchlike
                      for no reason, or it feels like it's dragging wheels, something ain't right.

Comment

make sure anything you test drive will engage its 4wd thou mate.
                        TeaM BOFA4x4 Mac 2008

www.bofa4x4.com

Comment

Working...
                        X