Off side driver door wont close -Inner handle sticks (is stuck) open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off side driver door wont close -Inner handle sticks (is stuck) open

I've searched the UK and Oz website for this problem but can't find it.

A few days ago I discovered that the driver door would not shut from the outside. It turned out the inner handle (to open the door) was stuck in the open position. Pushing it back in allowed the door to be closed normally. My Dad (retired mechanic) said to take the handle off and oil it to free it up.

When I removed the handle I found the door actuating rod (that the handle pulls) is very stiff and will not return. I took the three star bolts off the door lock / catch mechanism and sprayed inside with GT85 but it made no difference.

I'd appreciate knowing if there a quick fix for this or do I have to take the inner door trim / card off to free the door rod and mechanism?

This is probably not the first time a man with a stiff rod has gone on the net to sort out a problem...
    Did the Surf put the Toy in Toyota?

Yep, you'll need to take the door card off, the rod may be bent or is sticking in one of the guides.

Comment

i have a load of door lock bits and pieces, if you need them. but you will need to pull the door card to have a proper look
      it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Many thanks for the replies and the offer of parts.

I'm going to check it in the light over the w/e. I might park the front up at 45 degrees first and see if I can get some oil to dribble down the actuator rod.

Comment

I found a quick fix thanks to Vince suggesting that the rod was sticking in one of the guides.

Whilst repeatedly pulling the inside handle open and closed, I could hear a squeaking sound directly behind the door armrest. I pulled out the surround plug for the pushdown door lock and gave a squirt of oil from a can. There was no change.

I then sprayed GT85 (like WD40) with the red extension tube inside the door aimed at the squeak. Hey presto the squeak disappeared and the handle would open and close correctly. It has been OK for a couple of days.

Comment

wheel covers

[tons of wheel covers on ebay got mine for £20 posted i will send link if u want
            "Wow" can it do that !

Comment

Originally posted by scrummydoo View Post
              [tons of wheel covers on ebay got mine for £20 posted i will send link if u want
              what the hells that about whats it got to do with doors handles?
              SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

love a bit of thread resurection

Comment

i'm sure after 2 years he might of got the door sorted but hey you never know lol
                  https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

The mind boggles............
                    If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

couldnt find other thread

Originally posted by charvell View Post
                      what the hells that about whats it got to do with doors handles?
                      Woodman said in another thread that he was looking for a wheel cover,, I was about to reply there but my 16 yr old daughter needed the computer in an (emergency) as 16yr olds do,,, then I couldnt find the original so I posted it on one of his other threads,,, I hope this little error didnt overwork both your brain cells too much,,,, all's well that ends well, keep up the good work
                      Last edited by scrummydoo; 8 March 2009, 19:37.
                      "Wow" can it do that !

Comment

Working...
                      X