3.0 Head Cracked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.0 Head Cracked

Bellowing white smoke! Not all the time but on restart then more often until neally all the time. Didn't seem to smell of coolant but it sure was!

No sign of water in coolant whatsoever!
    No sign of coolant in oil whatsoever!
    No overheat at all - guage didn't show anything but bang on to the left of middle.
    No oil leaks.
    Ran absolutely perfectly

Thought it must be unburnt diesel - injector or similar.......Ran injector cleaner and Bang!

Oil out the back of the head and the coolant started to drop in the rad - obviously gasket and or head! No need to test anything.

Head off this weekend (what a lot of fiddly awkward $$$$ clamped all over the basic lump) only to find the pathetic looking tin gasket intact but signs of easy seepage of both oil and water.
    Time to turn over the head!......................... ... the damn thing was cracked across two sets of valves and all four combustion chambers had two cracks each!
    Totally gutted. I could have bought a handful of reliable 2.4's with replaced heads.

There you have it. 3.0 with cracked head. 80K on the clock. Not by me!

Is there a composite gasket available that will do this job better?
    The manual says there are three sizes of gasket thickness for you to chose from so what one does everyone get in their aftermarket kits?
    Is there a revised 3.0 head like the 2.4 with the extra waterway holes?
    Can you re-use the head bolts? The 1KZ manual says replace only if broken or damaged?

Lastly can you do all this for me for nothing and when I wake up it will all be over?

Smack it with a 16lb Hammer and it will come off!

give stevo a shout at http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/members_p...evo/index.html

or Tonyn at www.4x4toys.co.uk
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by toyotav84x4
      Time to turn over the head!......................... ... the damn thing was cracked across two sets of valves and all four combustion chambers had two cracks each!
      Totally gutted. I could have bought a handful of reliable 2.4's with replaced heads.

There you have it. 3.0 with cracked head. 80K on the clock. Not by me!
      Anything with that amount of cracks has got fawking hot, not just near the red, seriously hot.

Buy all the 2.4's you want, they still won't be a nice to drive as a 3.0!

Suck it up, do the job and enjoy the truck.

Replace the bolts, they don't cost much considering the rest. There is no uprated head I know of yet.

It was probably screwed before you got it, rad seal is a wonderful ( but temperary) thing.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce1067
        might do but want to do as much as possible myself as I have been screwed so need to save £££'s if I can. I know everyone swears by these guys though. Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
          Anything with that amount of cracks has got fawking hot, not just near the red, seriously hot.

Buy all the 2.4's you want, they still won't be a nice to drive as a 3.0!

Suck it up, do the job and enjoy the truck.

Replace the bolts, they don't cost much considering the rest. There is no uprated head I know of yet.

It was probably screwed before you got it, rad seal is a wonderful ( but temperary) thing.

You bet, everything I've ever had has been screwed before I got it. This time I was screwed hard.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
            Originally posted by toyotav84x4
            No sign of water in coolant whatsoever!
            Probably what broke it then!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by laser_jock99
              Probably what broke it then!!!!!
              Sorry I mean no oil in the coolant mix (of course there was water!)
              Also there were no bubbles out the expansion tank tube or in the rad with the cap off.

Just nothing to indicate the problem except when it (the Rad seal con artist rubbish) gave in and let all hell break loose.

Maybe I should add some rad sela and sell it on? No way I'd never do that to anyone. Those that do are not welcome on this planet.

I will make it one of the best condition Surfs on the planet and enjoy my life.

Comment

Working...
              X