Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gear shift problem

hi lads and lasses
    got a problem with the auto box, can,t move shift lever, when button on lever is pressed i can hear a clicking which seems to come from behind the dash, it will move when i press the red button. just wondered if anyone has had this problem before i begin the assault tomorrow. any info would be absolutely marvelous.
    cheers johnno
    15 years in shiny club, lovely

Originally posted by geordie john
    hi lads and lasses
    got a problem with the auto box, can,t move shift lever, when button on lever is pressed i can hear a clicking which seems to come from behind the dash, it will move when i press the red button. just wondered if anyone has had this problem before i begin the assault tomorrow. any info would be absolutely marvelous.
    cheers johnno
    you need to press the brake pedal in order to move the gear selector
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

gear shift

thanks for the reply richard, i forgot to mention that the usual routine for gear selection was being used, was thinking that it might be a solenoid or such like will have a look in daylight in the morning.

Comment

check your brake light bulbs... yes really...
        it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Chillitt
          yup!... it's a common one... it'll be the brake light bulbs!
          nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

gear shift

hi lads
            thanks for the replies,thought you were extracting the michael at first but i was fitting lexus style lights a while ago so you could well be right. will get it sorted in morning. thanks for the info.
            cheers johnno

Comment

is this the resullt of a blown bulb then?
              my 2.4 did it this morning...took ages and much stamping of the brake pedal before the lever would finally move.

Comment

How strange, I must do this automatically since this is my first motor with an autobox yet never realised you had to press the brake pedal before you can move the gear selector, never even picked up on this when I was trying other 4x4's with autoboxes.
                Neal

Comment

Originally posted by T1z3R View Post
                  is this the resullt of a blown bulb then?
                  my 2.4 did it this morning...took ages and much stamping of the brake pedal before the lever would finally move.
                  Originally posted by Shalershasker View Post
                  How strange, I must do this automatically since this is my first motor with an autobox yet never realised you had to press the brake pedal before you can move the gear selector, never even picked up on this when I was trying other 4x4's with autoboxes.
                  Both are failsafes. The former requires all parts of the brake circuit, bulbs, fuses and switches to be fuctioning properly. The latter is to prevent accidental gear selection whilst the vehicle isn't braked.

Comment

thanks.

so ive likely got an intermittent problem somewhere in the brake circuit since it eventually came out of park and into D?

Comment

Originally posted by T1z3R View Post
                      so ive likely got an intermittent problem somewhere in the brake circuit since it eventually came out of park and into D?
                      Sounds that way. Check the bulbs and connections for corrosion/oxidisation of the contacts in the clusters. Also worthwhile checking your socket on the towbar if you have one. Moisture/gunk in there can also have an effect on the circuit.
                      Last edited by MattF; 3 September 2009, 12:23.

Comment

thanks mate.
                        ill have a poke around.

Comment

Originally posted by Chillitt View Post
                          I really tot that this was a joke ...... silly me

Comment

I had this problem a few months ago. Turned out the brake pedal switch was sticking. Gave it a squirt of WD40 and it was ok for a few days. Tried some Tesco Value furniture polish on it and it's been OK ever since.

Comment

Working...
                            X