Head or head gasket gone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by charvell
    Are these 2nd heads that have gone? I was talking to a mate who works at toyota and he said that the KZN 185 is vertually bullet proof. He did say that any engine can suffer head failer. You just ahve to check all the levels and service it correctly
    I mean 2nd gen. There's this one, possibly this one:

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...highlight=head

this one (with another mentioned in the thread):

this one

this one

this one

It's getting boring now.....

Anyway, the point I was making (or more asking about) was that maybe the 2.4s have an unfair reputation for popping heads and it's just something to be expected of a 15 year old car. I don't know, just thinking out loud.

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho
      I don't know, just thinking out loud.
      Or maybe just happy you have a V6........

Your H/G blew as well you know.

As for the 3.0's I've said before, if there was an issues like the 2.4's, we would have found it on Lindas' truck by now, I tow enough heavy trailers with it and its been a little shy of the red numorous occaisions going up big hills. If there was a flaw we would have found it by now.
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
        Your H/G blew as well you know.

And it will again no doubt. Especially if I do decide to see what happens if you stick a supercharger on it (along with the rest of the engine).

Apparently there's a video on the net somewhere of a Honda Civic with a leaf blower attached to the air intake . Just need a petrol genny in the boot and I'm away

Comment

As for the 3.0's I've said before, if there was an issues like the 2.4's, we would have found it on Lindas' truck by now, I tow enough heavy trailers with it and its been a little shy of the red numorous occasions going up big hills. If there was a flaw we would have found it by now.
          I suppose it's similar to the 2.4's some have gone for years without problem's but I've known some to have needed a couple of heads. Likewise my mate has just sold his 3.0 after having it 5 years without any bother.

Mine has had a "sweat on" a few times after towing some weight & just lugged the caravan during 1/2 term without any bother, then it failed after a trip to Todmorden.

So I suppose the moral of this story is don't go to Todmorden!

Still having just dismantled the missus's 2.4 I don't expect to have much bother in persuading this engine to come apart
          Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

As for the 3.0's I've said before, if there was an issues like the 2.4's, we would have found it on Lindas' truck by now, I tow enough heavy trailers with it and its been a little shy of the red numorous occaisions going up big hills. If there was a flaw we would have found it by now.
            Aahhhhhhhhh, denial. Wonderful thing.

Comment

Oh well the heads still on the motor, 'er indoors decided we needed to nip into town so we went out in the other surf to find..... no brakes (well not much!) so guers who's just coughed up for some new brake shoes?!?

It dosen't look like i'll be on it tomorrow either..... work @ 5.30am

looks like i'll have to persuade my boss to let me have a day or two off in the week

Comment

Originally posted by coolsv650
                looks like i'll have to persuade my boss to let me have a day or two off in the week

So you can go shopping again?

Comment

see my last post for a cracked head and shattered dreams!
                  Smack it with a 16lb Hammer and it will come off!

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                    So you can go shopping again?
                    No so I can smash the S**t out of the B*****d.

I'm now the owner of a 1/2 dismantled 3.0 ltr, if only it had happened in summer when the days were longer..... I might have it stripped.

Hopefully the thing should be in complete bits by tomorrow night!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
                      Aahhhhhhhhh, denial. Wonderful thing.
                      Denial? Not me...............

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

On a cold damp murky morning in halifax

No so I can smash the S**t out of the B*****d.

I'm now the owner of a 1/2 dismantled 3.0 ltr, if only it had happened in summer when the days were longer..... I might have it stripped.

Hopefully the thing should be in complete bits by tomorrow night!!!!!
                        ..... its off its cracked and I'm $$$$ed off!.............

Yes it's finally off.

it's also cracked.... Between the valves on No4, and another crack radiating out from No3 combustion chamber, No 3 looks as if a crack is starting to appear between the valves as well!

I feel a bit of dejavu coming on it's cracked exactly the same places as the missus 2.4 had, although not as bad.

I'm in such a foul mood I feel a bout of letter writing.... to toyota (not that they'll take a blind bit of differance).

well at last the taxman cannot get his hands on my savings, thats because stevo now has most of them

Still I have taken some of the stress out...... by lauching the EGR valve! won't be puting that F****r back on.

Oh the joys of motoring

Comment

Did you enjoy taking it apart. I didn't.

Mines got cracks to each combustion chamber and one between each pair of No.2 and No.3 cylinder valves? No.1 and No.4 ok or at least look ok; No. 4 was blowing the oil out the back; there is now no need for closer inspection. It's in the bath! Maybe here is best

I have no savings to repair

History shows that the head I have just taken off was new 25Kmiles ago / 2003 from ukcylinderheads. It was fitted elsewhere I will add! What they did exactly I don't know but a badly sealed gasket / badly torqued down is my guess. The gasket was sound but did look like coolant was bleeding from the normal passages into the head. Who knows - all before my ownership.

One things for sure I will be checking the cooling system and maybe add a better temp guage. I still don't know why there is no composite type head gasket available? Are these only for ali to ali applications like my Rover V8.

Comment

My guess is its either a recon head or an original head that isnt the latest cast so the waterways are still too close to the valve seats.
                            STEVO is the best person to source the correct improved parts for repair.
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                            (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by toyotav84x4
                              Did you enjoy taking it apart. I didn't.

Mines got cracks to each combustion chamber and one between each pair of No.2 and No.3 cylinder valves? No.1 and No.4 ok or at least look ok; No. 4 was blowing the oil out the back; there is now no need for closer inspection. It's in the bath! Maybe here is best

I have no savings to repair

History shows that the head I have just taken off was new 25Kmiles ago / 2003 from ukcylinderheads. It was fitted elsewhere I will add! What they did exactly I don't know but a badly sealed gasket / badly torqued down is my guess. The gasket was sound but did look like coolant was bleeding from the normal passages into the head. Who knows - all before my ownership.

One things for sure I will be checking the cooling system and maybe add a better temp guage. I still don't know why there is no composite type head gasket available? Are these only for ali to ali applications like my Rover V8.
                              No it was far too fiddly, still I don't have the EGR to put back on..... Because I've thrown it away! I made some plates at the workshop I attend to blank the ports off, however you've just blown my theory out of the water, I thought that seeing both my heads have cracked on No4 I thought it might be as a result of dumping hot exhaust gasses into the cylinder, there was plenty of Gunge in the inlet manifold!

I suppose I couldn't grumble, 94,000 miles 12 years old, & the head looks original

Comment

however you've just blown my theory out of the water, I thought that seeing both my heads have cracked on No4 I thought it might be as a result of dumping hot exhaust gasses into the cylinder, there was plenty of Gunge in the inlet manifold!
                                I wouldn't dismiss your theory to quick. I think my head suffered from leaky gasket - incorrect torquing of the bolts. On removal of the head bolts I just lifted the head off with no effort. I thought there would be some resistance from a good seal and all the head bolt pressure? I wonder what others have found? I guess once the oil had blown out the back the seal was gone.

I think most peoples heads have cracked towards the No. 4 cylinder area which could be the exhaust gases. I'm not convinced mine is a typical failure; I don't know how competant the person was who rebuilt the top end last time? I have pitting in No.2 and No.3 so maybe it ran like this for a while before letting go.

I did find a small coating of muck in the inlet manifold but nothing to suggest trouble.

Good Luck with yours

Comment

Working...
                                X