Reducing turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reducing turbo

This might seem a ludricus idea but I have a 3.0 L td 93 surf and would like to know if anyone has done any work on the turbo i.e. I do a lot of miles a week and I love my surf but I find the turbo comes in around 1100 - 1500 rpm I don't normally go past 2000 -2500 rpm anyway but i'm only getting 18-20 miles / gallon the engine runs great no smoke and performance very good but is their a way of limiting the amount of turbo and would this help the mpg? or should I just live with the beast the way it is.

cheers..

here's the beast
    Attached Files

First off, take it out for a good blast with some injection cleaner in the tank and blow some of the ****e out of it, change filters all, and you should find you get around 25mpg, some get more others a little less, depends how heavy your foot is, I get 25 mpg on the motorway at 90mph but at 65mph I get ,,,,,,,,, wait for it

26MPG

[size=4][font=franklin gothic medium][color=lime]Every Day Above Ground is a Good Day[/color][/font][/size]
    [img]http://www.vertueren.gb.com/welshflag.gif[/img] [color=red]Gods Country[/color]

Comment

Hi Fantasy,

If you want to change the timing when your turbo kicks in maybe you should install a manual boost controller (if you do install a boost gauge first) with this you can increase/decrease the amount of boost in the engine from the turbo, effectively lowering the amount of turbo'd air coming in. If I was you then I would just leave the Surf as it is, from past experience when my turbo shut down while i was driving i noticed my revs pick up another 600 (on highway crusing at 100km/h or 60mph for you guys, with turbo 3000rpm without 3600rpm approx ).

Hope this has been helpful,
      Cheers
      DRF-BRO
      1994 Toyota Hilux Surf 3L SSR-X Limited (Manual)

Comment

Working...
      X