Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vatchman
    sorry most of that post is missing.
    A knock sensor is a piezoelectric microphone that generates a 0-5mV signal to the ignition controller (knock box). When a millivolt input is received to the knock box the ignition timing is retarded to suppress ignition timing. Ignition timing is advanced to the most degrees without knock for optimum performance.
    But our Surfs don't use this kind of technology, they arn't common rail. Just 'squirt it up the tube to injector' tech.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
      But our Surfs don't use this kind of technology, they arn't common rail. Just 'squirt it up the tube to injector' tech.

how the hell did we get on this subject anyway.i can feel a stupid boy pikey pic coming on.
      www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN

Furthermore, there is no ignition timing to retard, its compression ignition!

And further still, you don't get knock on a diesel engine, because the compression stroke only compresses air, not air/fuel...

Cheers, Paul.

Comment

I thought I'd read somewhere that leaner fuelling of a diesel leads to cooler running, more fuel leads to hotter. The opposite of a petrol engine.

I may be making it up though...
          Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
            I thought I'd read somewhere that leaner fuelling of a diesel leads to cooler running, more fuel leads to hotter. The opposite of a petrol engine.

I may be making it up though...
            I'd read the same thing in a number of different places, but the info is confusing.

If there was some info as to *why* this is the case, it would be useful to know!

Cheers, Paul.

Comment

Working...
            X