cam problem or wors??? kzn130

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cam problem or wors??? kzn130

just had the chance to purchase a real nice 130 but knocking not bad but you would have to be a fool not to hear it ` problem is after asking around every one says the cams just dont go on these 3ltr 130s they just dont wher at all having mentiond all that the guy has driven it hard up and down the uk for the last year and stil keeps going ` so this makes me think if it was the crank it would have gon by now ` any sugestions ??????

Maybe the valve clearances need re-shimming?

Comment

its a thort ` in your opinion would you think the way i am `that it would have packed in long ago if it was somthing to do with the crank or a piston ? dont know weather to just take the chance on it some guy mentiond the pump could be turned up to mutch aniway am begining to convince me self it aint to serious

Comment

It's had to pinpoint without hearing it, but if it's been running o.k. for a long time then, as you say it can't be that serious, or it's about to 'let go' big time.

It could be a sticking injector, they make a ticking noise similar to camshafts, or it could be that the timing belt has jumped a tooth or two on the fuel pump.

Comment

Big end or main bearing has gone, someone has run it low on oil. It sounds like it is coming from the top end of the motor but it will be coming from the bottom. The best way of checking is to put the hand brake on and load up the engine by either slowly realeasing the clutch or putting it in drive and slowly putting some drive on the car. If the knocking gets worse just on the point of the car dying then it has definatly run a bearing. You may be able to drive it but any driving you do will only cause more damage. You will be lucky if it is a bearing and has not already cracked the crank and done the rods. Good luck hope for your sake I am wrong.

Comment

If you want to see if its a big end or worn bore, just loosen a injector pipe one at a time while it running, normally the knock will stop on the injector that isn't working (no load on the piston)

When our 3.0 spun a bearing it went from nice to knocking to dead inside 40 miles.
            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
              If you want to see if its a big end or worn bore, just loosen a injector pipe one at a time while it running, normally the knock will stop on the injector that isn't working (no load on the piston)

When our 3.0 spun a bearing it went from nice to knocking to dead inside 40 miles.
              yes i know thats the strange thing about it that makes me think ther aint mutch wrong with it ` the guy has drivan it hard for at least a year and stil going strong ` dun the injector test stil the same after opening one at a time no diferance in sound `so i dont think its ready to let go just yet but am stil no nearer to solving it but now some other guy has been watching this fourum realised what one `and purchased it the new owner lived round the corner from it ` so i have been gazumped or whatever the term is lol stil he says i can be first on it if he sorts it out so am not realy complaining i had me chance and fafed about now its gon`

Comment

looks like the small end now aniway endid up with the truck and its in the midle of being done thanks for the advice peeps it was most welcome thanks again

Comment

Working...
                X