Anti Freeze / Coolant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anti Freeze / Coolant

I need to top mine up but I've been told only to use Toyota coolant and to make sure it's the same colour that's in their already (red).

Is this true? Can I use any red coolant (Halfords) and can I just use water in an emergency? With previous cars I've owned I've never heard of this being an issue and have always used any old coolant and or water.

Originally posted by iggypop
    I need to top mine up but I've been told only to use Toyota coolant and to make sure it's the same colour that's in their already (red).

Is this true? Can I use any red coolant (Halfords) and can I just use water in an emergency? With previous cars I've owned I've never heard of this being an issue and have always used any old coolant and or water.

if its just a small amount your topping up it should be ok to use water
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Ok thanks, so what about a bigger refill?

Is there any truth that it has to be Toyota (red in my case) coolant?

Comment

It doesen't really matter what antifreeze, just as long as there is some in there!!

General rule of thumb, is don't mix different types.
        Now Autumn is approaching fast, it's worth doing a complete flush of the coolant and putting fresh in.

Comment

Right thanks for clearing that up, I'll top up with water for now and do a flush at the weekend.

Next question - where do I drain it from?

Comment

At the bottom of the radiator, passenger side, facing the engine there is a drain tap.

Comment

Thanks Bushwacker

Comment

You might want to just do a quick search of the forum to see what difficulties people have had doing a complete coolant change.

I've read something about having to "burp" the system to get all the trapped air out...

Best know what your into before you start and get stuck half way through the job.

Joe

Comment

toyota red isn't cheap, and maybe no better than any other top brand red, but, once in, you'll have the peace of mind in knowing its the top notch gear, and compatable with the engine..mixing coolant types can adversly effect the gaskets, apparently?

do a thermostat change whilst you are at it..if you are flushing the block, you'll need to remove the old one anyway..on the 3ltr, there is a drain plug for the block, as well as the one on the radiator..

the other advise is well documented..heaters on hot, and full..the matrix on the bulkhead is the highest point in which air might collect..taking a pipe off whilst filling can help..i could be wrong there, its something i recal being mentioned whilst doing my own research?

i recently did a radiator swap, the coolant (toyota red) had been in for two years..once drained, it looked like cranberry juice, and was crystal clear..i'm not sure if that is a sign of quality coolant or not, but it impressed the hell out of me.

regarding mixing the coolant with water..having flushed the system, even if draining the block, i doubt you'll get rid of all the water in the system anyway..as this is something so frequently done, i cannot think that the mixing of water and red coolant can be harmfull in any way, other than the obvious consequence of dilution if topping up with water over a long period.

Comment

[QUOTE=mickey the other advise is well documented..heaters on hot, and full..the matrix on the bulkhead is the highest point in which air might collect..taking a pipe off whilst filling can help..i could be wrong there, its something i recal being mentioned whilst doing my own research?QUOTE]

Or maybe fit one of these......of to the DIY store with ye!

Comment

One of the technicians that I once worked with use to work for Toyota. He says that the Toyota red coolant is superb stuff & that he would never use anything else in a Toyota where the red coolant is specified. It comes pre-mixed & he has removed cylinder heads from Surfs that had not used the correct coolant & found signs of corrosion & no corrosion on vehicles with the correct coolant. Even though it's more expensive after what he said I wouldn't use anything else.
                      Last edited by lclascaris; 1 September 2006, 14:32.

Comment

Working...
                      X