Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake Piston Seized Up

Hi All,

Was trying to change my front brake pads but have hit a problem. Removed the pads but one of the four pistons is seized and I cannot move it back (and so cannot put the one break pad as there is no room). Any ideas on how to free this? Do I need to remove the caliper (hope not) or can I do it whilst it is still on the Surf?

Thanks!

Originally posted by Surf'sUp
    Hi All,

Was trying to change my front brake pads but have hit a problem. Removed the pads but one of the four pistons is seized and I cannot move it back (and so cannot put the one break pad as there is no room). Any ideas on how to free this? Do I need to remove the caliper (hope not) or can I do it whilst it is still on the Surf?

Thanks!
    wot i would do is put an obstruction between the pair of good pistons then g-clamp the single good one and then press the breaks this will push it out. Then if the $$$$ around the piston is not too bad you may be able to push it back in and it may be ok.But i would advise removing the piston and seals and clean it up properly this way you will be able to tell if it needs honing or not, if it was me i would strip all the pistons out and do them all.

ive got to take all mine off and hone them but keep putting it off cause im too idle..

btw i would take the caliper off you can get at it better!!
    CHEERS JOHN................

Comment

I had a sticking caliper piston when I first got my truck. I sorted mine by first clamping the flexy hose with some Molegrips to stop the fluid leaking, and removed the caliper. The only way I could free the piston was with a small pair of stilsons! very carefully around the lip of the piston, on the exposed part that doesn't touch the rubber seal when retracted. Once out I cleaned it up with wire wool and wet or dry paper, followed by a good polishing on a buffing wheel. That was two years ago and ithe brakes are still working fine!

Comment

If it's truely stuck then getting the caliper off and striping down is the only way. As already mentioned a big vice and brute force may be needed to extract the stuck piston. The rust and pitting may removed by lightly rubbing with wet-n-dry or wire wool. If it's too bad then a new caliper assy is needed. A refurb kit with new gaiters and rubber seals can be bought from Milners.

Comment

Originally posted by Surf'sUp
          Hi All,

Thanks!
          Take it off and strip it down, if you just free it off in situ it will stick again, it needs stripping down and new gaiters fitting to keep the grunge out
          THE ORIGINAL CRAZY BITCH!

Comment

Working...
          X