Bio fuel and emissions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bio fuel and emissions

I've been talking to a nice old chap while I was camping in Devon last week. He tells me he produces his own Bio diesel and has been using it in a couple of his cars for a couple of years. This conversation came up as I was asking about high emissions on his older 4x4 and the MOT. What he says is that since using this bio fuel his emissions have dropped by around 80% and he sails through the MOT on it.

What I'm wondering is whether this is an old man's tall tale or whether there's any truth in it. I've never failed an MOT yet on emissions, but its always been close. Can you buy it?

Also, if this bio fuel does lower it so much, can a similar result be gained from vegetable oil?

Who can shed some light?

Thanks in advance.
    Everything's easy, when you know how!

Using RME bioDiesel or SVO will substantially reduce virtually all emmisions with the exception of NoX, which may rise or fall by up to 10% depending on the engine. Nox is not measured for UK MOT purposes.
    Coupled with its carbon neutral status its a winner all round from an environmental viewpoint.
    Maurice
    Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

yeah and if we could we all would run on it without coughing up more £'s to the c&e , its in a good cause to help save the enviroment but all they see is £'s

Comment

So where can we get this from, or is it something you have to make yourself? How about the vegetable oil option (or is that what you mean by SVO), does that also reduce emissions?
        Last edited by phorbiuz; 31 July 2006, 08:16. Reason: More info
        Everything's easy, when you know how!

Comment

Originally posted by phorbiuz
          So where can we get this from, or is it something you have to make yourself? How about the vegetable oil option (or is that what you mean by SVO), does that also reduce emissions?
          SVO is Veg Oil, and yes it does reduce emissions

Don't forget to register with the Revenue before you run, getting caught would be extremely painful on the wallet.

Trev
          Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

SVO is straight veg oil AFAIK, this will also reduce your emisssions in the same way.
            Tim
            Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

I run on SVO and have been doing for nearly a year now. When I put my motor through it's MOT in June, it flew through. from an average of 9 emission test in rapid succession my out come was 0.39( the accepted limit being 3.00). the guy at the MOT station said it gave out less than a standard family saloon! Works for me.

Comment

Originally posted by UDTrev View Post
                SVO is Veg Oil, and yes it does reduce emissions

Don't forget to register with the Revenue before you run, getting caught would be extremely painful on the wallet.

Trev
                Is it realy advisable to register how do you do it and what does it cost

Comment

Originally posted by ginger ninja View Post
                  Is it realy advisable to register how do you do it and what does it cost
                  This is an old thread. The need for HMC&E registration disappeared last year unless you make/use more than 2500 litres per annum.
                  Mike G

Comment

Originally posted by Tallyman View Post
                    This is an old thread. The need for HMC&E registration disappeared last year unless you make/use more than 2500 litres per annum.
                    Thanks for that wasnt sure new to all this bio/veg oil building up courage to use it.Do i need to change filter or pump or can i just mix and go.
                    Last edited by ginger ninja; 16 June 2008, 18:00.

Comment

Do i need to change filter or pump or can i just mix and go.
                      This information is covered indepth in various threads on here.

Comment

Thanks for that wasnt sure new to all this bio/veg oil building up courage to use it.Do i need to change filter or pump or can i just mix and go.
                        Try looking at the posts at the bottom of this page

There's always a Payback .... Ya just never ever see it Comin !!!!
                        Buncefield Burner

Comment

Originally posted by Diezel Weazel View Post
                          Try looking at the posts at the bottom of this page

There's always a Payback .... Ya just never ever see it Comin !!!!
                          will do thanks

Comment

It sounds as if you have little knowledge about the properties of biodiesel, and I would hate you to get it mixed up with SVO ro WVO, so here are some things to ponder:

1. Biodiesel is the only alternative fuel in the USA to complete EPA Tier I Health Effects Testing under section 211(b) of the Clean Air Act, which provide the most thorough inventory of environmental and human health effects attributes that current technology will allow.

2. Biodiesel is the only alternative fuel that runs in any conventional, unmodified diesel engine. It can be stored anywhere that petroleum diesel fuel is stored.

3. Biodiesel can be used alone or mixed in any ratio with petroleum diesel fuel. The most common blend is a mix of 20% biodiesel with 80% petroleum diesel, or "B20."

4. The lifecycle production and use of biodiesel produces approximately 80% less carbon dioxide emissions, and almost 100% less sulphur dioxide. Combustion of biodiesel alone provides over a 90% reduction in total unburned hydrocarbons, and a 75-90% reduction in aromatic hydrocarbons. Biodiesel further provides significant reductions in particulates and carbon monoxide than petroleum diesel fuel. Biodiesel provides a slight increase or decrease in nitrogen oxides depending on engine family and testing procedures. Based on Ames Mutagenicity tests, biodiesel provides a 90% reduction in cancer risks.

5. Biodiesel is 11% oxygen by weight and contains no sulphur. The use of biodiesel can extend the life of diesel engines because it is more lubricating than petroleum diesel fuel, while fuel consumption, auto ignition, power output, and engine torque are relatively unaffected by biodiesel.

6. Biodiesel is safe to handle and transport because it is as biodegradable as sugar, 10 times less toxic than table salt, and has a high flashpoint of about 125°C compared to petroleum diesel fuel, which has a flash point of 55°C.

7. Biodiesel can be made from domestically produced, renewable oilseed crops such as soybeans, canola, cotton seed, rice bran and mustard seed.

8. Biodiesel is a proven fuel with over 30 million successful US road miles, and over 20 years of use in Europe.

9. When burned in a diesel engine, biodiesel replaces the exhaust odour of petroleum diesel with the pleasant smell of fried chicken or fish and chips.

10. The Congressional Budget Office, and Department of Defense, US Department of Agriculture, and others have determined that biodiesel is the low cost alternative fuel option for fleets to meet requirements of the Energy Policy Act.

Comment

bio

Thanks your right i now little about bio and thanks for all that info one question though if svo is veg oil what is wvo like i said im newto this so thanks for your pattience

Comment

Working...
                              X