Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a DOCTOR in the house?

Hello to All,

I am trying to get some help to diagnos a problem with my 95 3.0 TD surf.

When I apply brakes to slow the vehicle down, I feel a fairly strong "shimmy" in the steering wheel. The wheel pulls left and right, only slightly but with force.

Does this make sense to anyone out there? If so, please let me know what the doctor suggests.

Thanks,
    Skylacker

Originally posted by skylacker
    Hello to All,

I am trying to get some help to diagnos a problem with my 95 3.0 TD surf.

When I apply brakes to slow the vehicle down, I feel a fairly strong "shimmy" in the steering wheel. The wheel pulls left and right, only slightly but with force.

Does this make sense to anyone out there? If so, please let me know what the doctor suggests.

Thanks,
    Skylacker
    warped disc maybe
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Seized brake caliper on one side maybe?

Comment

One of those above.

Comment

Or a hard bit in one pad. Had that before....

Happened about halfway through a set of pads, but,.......
          It just does, OK?

Comment

had the same on mine, new discs and pads and brakes like a good un' . relativly easy diy job, just looks a bit daunting as you have to take the wheel hub off to change the disc's.

if you decide to do it yourself there will be lots of advice on here for ya
            TeaM BOFA4x4 Mac 2008

www.bofa4x4.com

Comment

whats involved in taking off the hub? i too have a warped disc. is it as simple as taking off the wheel and taking of the brake caliper?

Comment

Originally posted by ferret
                whats involved in taking off the hub? i too have a warped disc. is it as simple as taking off the wheel and taking of the brake caliper?
                no mate, you got to remove the hub its held on with 2 54mm nuts and a locking tab washer, then unbolt the disc from the hub with a 14mm socket,

its a damm good chance to inspect and pack the wheel bearings with nice fresh grease though
                TeaM BOFA4x4 Mac 2008

www.bofa4x4.com

Comment

Originally posted by andrewlee31
                  no mate, you got to remove the hub its held on with 2 54mm nuts and a locking tab washer, then unbolt the disc from the hub with a 14mm socket,

its a damm good chance to inspect and pack the wheel bearings with nice fresh grease though
                  if its a 95 3rd gen you dont have to remove the hub, just lift the calaper and the new disk slides over the studs
                  SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Originally posted by andrewlee31

if its a 95 3rd gen you dont have to remove the hub, just lift the calaper and the new disk slides over the studs
                    SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Apart from the discs, may I also suggest checking steering joints and steering Damper as i have encountered this problem with a surf with new discs and turned out to be the pitman arm and damper.
                      If it aint broke dont fix it

Comment

Do the cheapest thing first and check the wheel balence I have come across this problem more then once before and balencing the wheels cured it.
                        ionic SURFactant

Comment

Working...
                        X