Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbo whistle?

Hi Guys,

96 3.0ltr, have had this surf for two years now with no problems but she has developed a whistling noise which seems to be coming from the turbo when accelerating, any thoughts???.

Mine whistles! its normal you should be able to hear it whistle
    If it aint broke dont fix it

Comment

Turbos do make a whistling noise, but if yours has got louder, check all the pipework connected to it as there maybe a split or loose fitting somewhere.

Comment

hey vince on some of the turbo sites it says that whistling on a turbo ,use of oil , black smoke is a sign of probs with your turbo ,
        got the black smoke ,whistling , got to check see if im losing oil later
        tried the injector cleaner , blocked the the egr ,, put oil catch can in ,
        when i start the truck a waft of black smoke comes out and if i let the revs idle then kick it black smoke appears ,
        whats the verdict vince do i take it to a turbo doctor ?????
        Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

Black smoke all the time is unburnt fuel/diesel. Could be that your injectors are not 100% and are still dribbling instead of spraying.
          A knackered turbo would kick out grey/blue smoke all the time.

Does the black smoke subside when driving/engine warmed up?

p.s. Mine whistles like Roger Whitiker (sp) and all is well.

Did I mention mines only done 86.000kms?

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
            Black smoke all the time is unburnt fuel/diesel. Could be that your injectors are not 100% and are still dribbling instead of spraying.
            A knackered turbo would kick out grey/blue smoke all the time.

Does the black smoke subside when driving/engine warmed up?

p.s. Mine whistles like Roger Whitiker (sp) and all is well.

Did I mention mines only done 86.000kms?
            i think it just smokes when i start up it kicks out a bit of $$$$ (as seen on neighbours car)lol spatters of oily stuff
            i think it subsides when warmed up its not massive amounts of smoke though,
            it jus t seems sluggish sometimes as well

Comment

Originally posted by joker??
              i think it just smokes when i start up it kicks out a bit of $$$$ (as seen on neighbours car)lol spatters of oily stuff
              i think it subsides when warmed up its not massive amounts of smoke though,
              it jus t seems sluggish sometimes as well

That'll be your injectors then. They only seem to last up to 88,000 ish miles, or is that kms?.....anyway, new or recond. injectors should be next on your list. Will do more to the gallon too.

Comment

cheers vince injectors sound better than turbo
                best place for injectors ????
                Last edited by joker??; 2 July 2006, 12:45.

Comment

Mine whistles and its only done 35k miles so I hope its not on the way out. My old Paj was silent and the forum for them was of the opinion that whistling was an indication thet they were out of balance and thus not good????

For the record I used to have an MG Metro Turbo (who remembers them) and that whistled like a good un.
                  Parts of your engine go up, stop then go back! Mm!

Comment

Originally posted by TJG
                    Mine whistles and its only done 35k miles so I hope its not on the way out. My old Paj was silent and the forum for them was of the opinion that whistling was an indication thet they were out of balance and thus not good????

For the record I used to have an MG Metro Turbo (who remembers them) and that whistled like a good un.
                    Mine whistles, and I have been told that it is normal for a turbo to whistle. I have no loss of power and no black smoke. Good to see the site up again. Well done Nigle
                    SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

turbo's whislte.... so would you if you were spinning at 30000 odd rpm!
                      Tim
                      Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Working...
                      X