Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smelly Air Con

Hi folks,
    I have nice smelly damp smells coming from my air con. I went and spoke to a radiator/air con place on Sat and they gave me a can of anti-bacterial spray and said to try that first as my air con is fine apart from the smells.

Now Im assuming I need to spray this into the air ducting and preferably on the fins for the cooler (isnt this where the condensation builds?). Has anyone ever completed such a procedure and can you offer some advice please?

Where is the best place to spray this in?

Many thanks

Ant
    1996 SSR-G 3.0 TD Intercooler
    Mazda Rotaries too!

Not sure if this helps but I used one of these a while back. Its one of those fogger type aerosols which carry on spraying until they're empty. The instructions were to start the engine, switch on a/c and recirculate mode, set fan to high and shut all the windows. Then all you has to do was set the aerosol off and close the door, and leave for 10 mins or something like that.

If its just a normal aerosol, I guess you just need to turn on the a/c and recirculate, then spray up under the passengers footwell. That's where the recirc intake is (well it is in a 1st and 3rd gens anyway).

Comment

Originally posted by Rob
      Not sure if this helps but I used one of these a while back. Its one of those fogger type aerosols which carry on spraying until they're empty. The instructions were to start the engine, switch on a/c and recirculate mode, set fan to high and shut all the windows. Then all you has to do was set the aerosol off and close the door, and leave for 10 mins or something like that.

If its just a normal aerosol, I guess you just need to turn on the a/c and recirculate, then spray up under the passengers footwell. That's where the recirc intake is (well it is in a 1st and 3rd gens anyway).
      where did you get it from mate?
      at the end of the day................ it gets dark

Comment

Originally posted by Rob

Interesting! The one I have is a normal push and hold aerosol. It says on the back to spray into air intake (obviously not the engine one )! Ill take a look under the pass footwell for the recirc.

Rgds

Ant
        1996 SSR-G 3.0 TD Intercooler
        Mazda Rotaries too!

Comment

i got a tip from an air con guy . boil a kettle under the recirc intake for 20 minutes , with the air con on full and the recirc switch on . after 20 minutes remove the kettle and turn the air con onto normal fan direction for a futher 10 minutes .i did this with my celica gt4 and the results were amazing , air con was freezing cold and no pong.

its best to turn off air con 10 minutes before your journeys end but leave the fan on max to allow the vents and condensor to dry out ,thus reducing bacterial build up

Comment

Originally posted by shaggy
            where did you get it from mate?
            Can't remember although I've seen it for sale in many petrol stations, local motor factors etc etc. I think Halfords may even stock it.

Comment

I bought a can from a Land Rover Dealership for £15.00. You can buy them elsewhere by I got a mate that works at the dealership. It's made by a company called "Scotts" & they are known as "aircon bombs". The result was superb. As previously stated you turn the engine on, put the air con on re-circulate & fan blowers on max. You then put the air con bomb in the passenger footwell, press the button & quickly close the door. The can empties itself & you leave the engine & aircon running for 10-15 minutes & then turn everything off & open all windows to vent the vehicle. Worked really well on my KZN185.

Regards Lewis.

Comment

Got mine from our local motor factor - less than £7.
                Got rid of the musty smell a treat - only problem was that the truck smelt like a distillery for about five days!
                The wife was scared of being stopped by the police and breathalysed
                That was about 8 weeks ago, the distillery smell has faded and the aircon hasn't reverted to the musty smell.
                Keith

Comment

Originally posted by internetsurfer
                  i got a tip from an air con guy . boil a kettle under the recirc intake for 20 minutes , with the air con on full and the recirc switch on . after 20 minutes remove the kettle and turn the air con onto normal fan direction for a futher 10 minutes .i did this with my celica gt4 and the results were amazing , air con was freezing cold and no pong.

its best to turn off air con 10 minutes before your journeys end but leave the fan on max to allow the vents and condensor to dry out ,thus reducing bacterial build up
                  my kettle turns off as soon as it starts to boil... might try a camping stove.
                  nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

erm , leave the lid off. try the stove if you think it'll work though.

this does work , i tried it , air con was freezing after

Comment

Working...
                    X