Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual Mass Flywheel

Hi all,

I had a knocking noise at idle that sounded similar to the normal diesel knock of the engine but was secondary to this. I isolated the sound to inside the manual gearbox bellhousing. So I removed the gearbox to have a look.

After removing the Dual Mass Flywheel from my 1995 3.0L Diesel Surf I found flywheel has some play in it and there is something rattling around inside! The inside of the bell housing is coated in grease that has obviously been spun out from inside the Dual Mass Flywheel

I now seem to have a choice.

1.) Replace the flywheel with a similar unit for £480+vat, plus a new 3 piece clutch (original past it's useful life), and rear engine oil seal (insurance) .

2.) Go for the 4Runner soild flywheel conversion, with a flywheel cost of £230+vat and slightly cheaper clutch.

I have read that with the solid flywheel conversion the gearbox can make more noise at idle and clutch take up is sometimes harsher. Apparently the solid flywheel is heavier so may soak up power and hinder acceleration. Also, because the solid flywheel is thinner the thrust bearing thow out may be affected. Having said this the UK Toyota 4Runner has the soild flywheel so why do I need the Dual Mass unit?

Has anyone experience of changing thier DMF and opinions on the best options? Any other relevant information and help will be gladly received.

Regards
    Brian
    Cornwall, England
    Brian

Just done the solid flywheel swap for Dave, it works a treat, the solid flywheel isn't thinner either. Also didn't feel significantly heavier, the duel mass one is no lightweight itself.

The dual mass flywheel was just a idea that didn't work out, the 3rd gen Surfs have a solid flywheel just like the 2nd gen 4Runners.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
      Just done the solid flywheel swap for Dave, it works a treat, the solid flywheel isn't thinner either. Also didn't feel significantly heavier, the duel mass one is no lightweight itself.

The dual mass flywheel was just a idea that didn't work out, the 3rd gen Surfs have a solid flywheel just like the 2nd gen 4Runners.
      Hi Tony,

Thanks for your comments, your input is much appreciated.

I would feel much more confident in converting to a solid flywheel if Toyota changed to them in the 3rd gen Surfs but according to a Toyota spares man, and Barry at Roughtax, the 3rd gens still use the Dual Mass Flywheel. Are they wrong?

Regards
      Brian
      Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Panrixx
        Hi Tony,

Thanks for your comments, your input is much appreciated.

I would feel much more confident in converting to a solid flywheel if Toyota changed to them in the 3rd gen Surfs but according to a Toyota spares man, and Barry at Roughtax, the 3rd gens still use the Dual Mass Flywheel. Are they wrong?

Regards
        Brian
        OK, I may have been mistaken, the 3rd gen clutch plates I've seen all have the shock springs in the clutch disc, like a 4Runner and most other cars in the world.

All the dual mass flywheels have a solid clutch plate, as the shock springs are in the flywheel.

So seeing as most places list the 3rd gen clutch kit as the same as a 4Runner I assumed they had a solid flywheel.

Personally, I still say do the solid flywheel thing as its cheaper if your replacing everything.
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Tony,

I think you are right about changing to the solid flywheel, especially as I intend to tow a trailer from time to time, so that is what I intend to do.

I am doing the work myself (was a motor mechanic in my early twenties) and intend to put in a new rear crank seal and spigot bearing while I've got the box out.

I was wondering whether it was worth the effort to change the gearbox input shaft seal and maybe even the input shaft bearing as well. The immediate area around the bearing/seal shows no sign of leakage at the moment, it's nice and dry. What is involved to relace either the seal only or both the seal and the bearing?

Thanks again for your help.
          Brian

Comment

I had my DMF replaced with a solid flywheel just over a year / 27thousand miles ago. Despite putting a lot more power than standard through it I’ve had no real problems – perhaps a little more “lash” in the drive train recently but I suspect that’s got more to do with the way I abuse it than a problem with the flywheel set up.

Comment

Having removed the Dual Mass Flywheel (DMF for short) I tried to seperate it to expose the springs that I have seen on other forums. My unit appears a little different to others I have seen pictures of.

There are no 6 bolts to seperate the halves, no signs of any springs and after seprating the clutch side section the remaining half appears to be completely riveted together. Also, the DMF has a large serated gear type mechanism that the two seperated sections mesh together when assembled.

I have tried to attach photos that show what I have described above and that also show how the riveted casing has cracked at a number of points just outside the geared coupling. Hope they work!!

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...59914247XgBwBI

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...59914247QgTuTi

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...59914247NKDYvY

Does anyone recognise this type of flywheel and know why it varies from what appears to be the other type?

Thanks for any help you can give.
              Brian

Comment

Working...
              X