annoying clatter! on surf 3td ssrx 1995

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• annoying clatter! on surf 3td ssrx 1995

help plz its driving me crazy, an annoying clattering type noise, to the un informed it sounds like a tambourine with duff bells, to the informed it sounds like loose brake pads/caliper etc, and its coming from that area (o/s/f) checked or changed the following, shocks, anti-roll links, bushes (all), pads, caliper, anti-squeal springs, bump stops, plastic under wings, side steps, only happens on little bumps sinks potholes etc, and over 10 mph, the sort of noise anti-roll links would make so I dis-connected them and the noise is still there!
    tia

Hi

Hi There,

Just been looking at a write up in a old 4x4 mag, Someone had same fault once before, They found it to be hub bushes, Part numbers T90381-30003 and T90381-30006 £22.00 each from Toyota,

Have same noise on mine,

Comment

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm,

interesting, thought we were on hub bearings tho'? so I wonder were they live and what sort of job they are to do? ( if indeed they need to be done, some noises you can live with if their not dangerous, and as long as you know what they are) Only had this 3td for a month and I'm taking her to France with a caravan so she's gotta be something like, my old 2.4td never missed a beat just the usual steering noises.
      tia

Comment

Had Same Noise

I had a similar problem for months. I got the bronze bushes replaced in the hubs as this forum advised but that did not cure the noise. I ended up having to get the drive shaft replaced from diff to wheel and now it is fine.

Comment

thanks,

the annoying rattle will go when I shut the window or turn up the stereo, but I'm concerned something 'gives out' in france,

Comment

Found It!

but I'm not out of the woods yet, its the off side drive shaft, rattling in the hub splines, thing is, is it the CV joint worn or the hub splines worn? which is the weaker metal? (or both) apart from the rattle I dont think there's too much of a problem,

Comment

it sounds like the same problem ive had with my surf for the last couple of weeks. Had a new front drivers side track rod end fitted today, nice and quite now, at last.

Comment

wayne2surf was right

put the new bronze bushes in to-day, noise gone, (bushes from Milner off road)
                thanks to all, now onto the next problem....................... .....

Comment

Bronze Bushes

How easy was it to change the Bronze Bushes - If you did it yourself, did you need any special Tools? Or did you get a local Garage to change them for you? I have the same Rattle problem and have bought a pair of Bronze Bushes for both Front sides, but havn't got round to changing them yet. I've seen a diagram posted on here, but it looks a bit complicated for a non-mechanical person such as myself.
                  Better to be in Cumulonimbus than Cumulogranite

Comment

Originally posted by 9belo0
                    How easy was it to change the Bronze Bushes - If you did it yourself, did you need any special Tools? Or did you get a local Garage to change them for you? I have the same Rattle problem and have bought a pair of Bronze Bushes for both Front sides, but havn't got round to changing them yet. I've seen a diagram posted on here, but it looks a bit complicated for a non-mechanical person such as myself.
                    I would be interested in the same answer, my baby is playing Mr Tamborine man too
                    Did I mention I have a BLUE one
                    Tony

Comment

From all accounts..

This rattle would appear to be 'normal'. Some one on this site tried a nearly new toyota 4x4 and found the same type of lift that you can get by lifting the outer CV joint in the hub.

I suspect that after replacing the bush that carries the CV in the hub, after a few thousand miles the noise will reappear. You can achieve a quiet front drive line by selecting 4X4 mode and gently; if on a made road, driving in a straight line. This stops the rattling sound immediately and confirms it is the bushes and not the CV joint falling apart (it is only in 4X4 mode that the front CV's are loaded, the rest of the time they just float about as excess weight)alternatively you can spray grease or bike chain lube into the bush area (messy) and this will produce a quietening effect for a few hundred miles.

Me, I just turn the stereo up, close the windows, or just ignore it.

BUT to be sure the lift in the CV to hub relationship is not excessive ,you should not have more than approximately 3 mm up and down movement. DO NOT confuse up and down with any in and out movement of the drive shaft which is normal and it is the inner plunge joint (inner drive shaft pot joint) allowing for suspension travel; lengthening and shortening of the shaft.

Its all good fun ain't it?

Comment

Originally posted by The Mechanic
                        This rattle would appear to be 'normal'. Some one on this site tried a nearly new toyota 4x4 and found the same type of lift that you can get by lifting the outer CV joint in the hub.

I suspect that after replacing the bush that carries the CV in the hub, after a few thousand miles the noise will reappear. You can achieve a quiet front drive line by selecting 4X4 mode and gently; if on a made road, driving in a straight line. This stops the rattling sound immediately and confirms it is the bushes and not the CV joint falling apart (it is only in 4X4 mode that the front CV's are loaded, the rest of the time they just float about as excess weight)alternatively you can spray grease or bike chain lube into the bush area (messy) and this will produce a quietening effect for a few hundred miles.

Me, I just turn the stereo up, close the windows, or just ignore it.

BUT to be sure the lift in the CV to hub relationship is not excessive ,you should not have more than approximately 3 mm up and down movement. DO NOT confuse up and down with any in and out movement of the drive shaft which is normal and it is the inner plunge joint (inner drive shaft pot joint) allowing for suspension travel; lengthening and shortening of the shaft.

Its all good fun ain't it?

Ta ...........off to have a wiggle!
                        Did I mention I have a BLUE one
                        Tony

Comment

Working...
                        X