Filter removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filter removal

Today I went to do a filter & oil change and could not get the oil and fuel filters off (I broke my strap wrench trying). Can anyone tell me the best tool to remove filters (Toyota or other) and suggest where to get it from.

Cheers

They SHOLD only be hand tight, so you've got to thank the muppet who did the oil change last time!!

But, if it's really stuck, one way is to hammer a screwdriver through the filter, all the way through, and then use that as a lever to get it moving.

Trouble with that method, is that you'r knack*red if it still won't budge, as you can't run the engine at all..
    It just does, OK?

Comment

Originally posted by craftyc
      Today I went to do a filter & oil change and could not get the oil and fuel filters off (I broke my strap wrench trying). Can anyone tell me the best tool to remove filters (Toyota or other) and suggest where to get it from.

Cheers
      Never had too much trouble with the oil filter I have always managed OK with a filter Wrench (chain Type). The fuel filter however can be a different matter I have had to take off the complete unit (disconnect from the bulkhead and disconnect the wires) then put the holder in a vice and use large stilsons to unscrew the filter practically destroying the filter in the process.
      Trust your Hound.

Comment

look here.........

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...=spider+filter

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Thanx for the replies I will get myself one of those three legged jobs.
          I didnt fancy the screwdriver method,seems like a balls up waiting to happen.

Comment

Just did the filters on mine! Had problems with the electrics at the bottom of the fuel filter! Any tips for next time? Save me chewwing it to bits in a stilsons!

Comment

padded stilsons??
              TeaM BOFA4x4 Mac 2008

www.bofa4x4.com

Comment

I had trouble removing the first fuel filter. I just put a screwdriver at 90deg to the neck of the filter, close to where it screws on and gave it a whack to put a dent in it. I then turned the screwdriver to 45 deg and hit it with the BFH, which started it turning. Ever since they have only been done up hand tight by yours truely.

As for the oil filter. I have found that the best tool for undoing them is the grip gloves that warehousemen wear. They now do them in B&Q. They enable you to get at the filter with both hands and get a good twist on it. They are also good for undoing the oil filler cap (does yours weld itself on between top-ups?)
                It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
                  I had trouble removing the first fuel filter. I just put a screwdriver at 90deg to the neck of the filter, close to where it screws on and gave it a whack to put a dent in it. I then turned the screwdriver to 45 deg and hit it with the BFH, which started it turning. Ever since they have only been done up hand tight by yours truely.

As for the oil filter. I have found that the best tool for undoing them is the grip gloves that warehousemen wear. They now do them in B&Q. They enable you to get at the filter with both hands and get a good twist on it. They are also good for undoing the oil filler cap (does yours weld itself on between top-ups?)
                  Note everyone got the same idea of hand tight !!!!!!!
                  I had me an old $ucked up 3/8 drive socket, I braised it to the inside of a Old Mini Duplex Timing chain, best bit of Equipment I made & it just keeps on tightening up if needed, still got it & used it as a Portable Vice. eg Alternator Pulley's in the past......

Jess
                  There's Always a Payback.... You just can't see it Comin !!!!!
                  Buncefield Burner

Comment

For removing the oil filter, I picked up a tool from ScrewFix
                    http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...48077&ts=21123
                    Best £10 I ever spent.

It has three legs and you attach it to a standard ratchet handle from a socket set (I also use a short extension bar). The nice thing about this tool is that the more force you apply to undo the filter, the tighter the tool grabs the filter. The filters seem to have flats molded into them around the edge that's ideal for this toll to grab onto.

Also, where the oil filter is located on 2nd Gen, I found it difficult to get a wrap-around type tool in place - without loosing the skin on my knuckles when it slipped.

In theory, it would work on the fuel filter as well but I've never needed it for that.

Joe

Comment

Working...
                    X