temp rising but no signs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• temp rising but no signs

hi guys i have a sneaky idea what it is but just need to confirm.

drove my 3.0 kzn the other day for about 50 miles when the bugger overheated. did not notice anything on the temp gauge. AA came out did pressure test, everything ok. checked oil for signs of water, everything ok. topped her up and off i went. did the round trip then when i got home she did the same again, steam coming from under the bonnet. Ok i thought she may need a new thermostate. so i:

1 changed the thermostate
    2 flushed the system out and replaced with new coolant/antifreeze.

right that should do it i thought. drove her to work today, no problem about 30 miles then drove her back. thought i'd have a look under the bonnet. the collant bottle was full to the brim and had overflowed and she was hissing a little, BUT THE TEMP GAUGE WAS AS NORMAL!!!

any idea folks???

got my ideas..........

Originally posted by kitesurfer
    hi guys i have a sneaky idea what it is but just need to confirm.

drove my 3.0 kzn the other day for about 50 miles when the bugger overheated. did not notice anything on the temp gauge. AA came out did pressure test, everything ok. checked oil for signs of water, everything ok. topped her up and off i went. did the round trip then when i got home she did the same again, steam coming from under the bonnet. Ok i thought she may need a new thermostate. so i:

1 changed the thermostate
    2 flushed the system out and replaced with new coolant/antifreeze.

right that should do it i thought. drove her to work today, no problem about 30 miles then drove her back. thought i'd have a look under the bonnet. the collant bottle was full to the brim and had overflowed and she was hissing a little, BUT THE TEMP GAUGE WAS AS NORMAL!!!

any idea folks???

got my ideas..........
    If the system is pressurising it must be head / head gasket problems, you can get a COOLING SYSTEM COMBUSTION LEAK TESTER on ebay its a fluid that detects combustion gasses in the water.

Comment

thought it maybe the head but having spent the best part of the evening trying to find out (what a nice friday evening) i can confirm that its the $$$$$$ pump that gone!!!!! at leasts in gona be cheaper.

anybody know anyone in south staffs north mids who could fix one asap?!?

cheers

nick

Comment

Same model and problem

I have just recently purchased a SURF the 3.0L beast and its doing exactly the same the temp gauge stays in the norm but when I finish the journey the radiator expansion bottle is blowing out warm coolant..How did you check the water pump had failed..

Back in the day Baby

Comment

When the engine is cold, take off the rad cap and start engine and allow to tick over. If the pump is working you'll see the water moving in the rad. If it's not then the pump is probably on the way out, if not already dead.
          Mike G

Comment

Just bought a 3.0 SSR-X KZN130 1994

Hi Guys,
            I just bought the Hilux Surf 1994 3.0L KZN130 used from Japan. Before I even drove it after it landed in Durban last week, The Mechanic found that the Fuel Injector Pump was leaking. Fixing cost came to $600.00. I have been told to go collect it from the agent now and I am afraid what other problems I may experience the fact that I have to drive the Beast for over 2500km to Zambia. Any tips to have this monistor in top condition before i take it on the freeway.

Comment

Working...
            X