Glow Plug Light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glow Plug Light

The light on my dash which indicates that the glow plugs are warming (coil shape) is only on for about half a second. The engine then turns over a couple of times before it fires up. There are no billows of white smoke so I assume the glow plugs are working...

On previous diesels the light has remained on for 2 or 3 seconds and then the vehicle starts on the turn of the key.

Does mine sound normal - it seems a bit of a laboured start
    1996 3rd generation surf

Originally posted by Jim-Phillips
    The light on my dash which indicates that the glow plugs are warming (coil shape) is only on for about half a second. The engine then turns over a couple of times before it fires up. There are no billows of white smoke so I assume the glow plugs are working...

On previous diesels the light has remained on for 2 or 3 seconds and then the vehicle starts on the turn of the key.

Mine does the same mate. I just leave it for a couple of seconds after the light has gone out, it never has a problem starting.
    SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Some people on here wait until they hear the glowplug relay switch off, which takes about 10 seconds I think, but I've never bothered. The only time it's taken more than two seconds' churning to fire was when I had battery problems.

Even at -5°C, 1s for the glowplug and 1s turning over and it was running without smoke. Glowplugs aren't usually essential on a direct-injection unit, but they do make life easier.

Comment

This has been a topic so many times now, and it really is a cr@p piece of design on this truck. IMO the light should stay on as long as the glow plugs are powered up, this makes more sense.

Its on my list of 'to do's'.
        Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Yes, I have found other threads relating to this topic since posting. It seems that the search that brings up related topics at the bottom of the post is much better than the keyword search facility...

I now leave the plugs glowing a couple of seconds after the light goes off and the truck starts better. I was concerned I had a problem but it seems it is just a design fault..

Thanks all.
          1996 3rd generation surf

Comment

Originally posted by NFC
            Even at -5°C, 1s for the glowplug and 1s turning over and it was running without smoke. Glowplugs aren't usually essential on a direct-injection unit, but they do make life easier.
            The 3.0 have completely different glowplugs to the 2.4's they get hotter much quicker.

3.0 only light the light for 1sec at above 5 deg C coolant temp, then there is a 'afterglow' time of between 20 to 120 sec after the engine is running.

2.4 old style glowplugs need far longer to heat up let the light go out.

Waiting for the relay to click just means your using the afterglow time to heat things up better, therefore giving better starting when really cold, or giving a older truck with other issues more chance of starting. So its not really a design fault, the light is your waiting time, then the relay clicks off after the afterglow timer has finished.

BTW, the Surf motors are indirect injection, so need preheat.
            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN

BTW, the Surf motors are indirect injection, so need preheat.
              Oops! Always thought the 3.0 was direct injection.

Must have been misled by the short light time and the noise. Sorry for any confusion.

Comment

what glo plug indicator ......my bulb must have blown......console out.!!!

Comment

i own the 3.0 and i now start mine like a petrol engine. 4 cranks and she starts and runs like new - hail the surf for she is holy and mighty.

Comment

same here matey,previous diesel cars i have owned take alot longer for glowplug light to extinguish,my surf approx. 1 second but i wait 3-4 secs and starts with no problems.

Comment

Re: Glow Plug Light

Originally posted by Jim-Phillips

Check your batteries. They may be able to crank the engine BUT NOT FAST ENOUGH for the injector pump to build up the required fuel pressure. My 1996 3rd gen (non intercooled) had the same problem: Glowplug indicator (and the plugs) were all OK, but I had to crank for several seconds before it started. I replaced the batteries and it now starts on the turn of the key.
                      Last edited by mba123ruku; 29 June 2006, 05:00.

Comment

Glo-Plug lights

I've never seen the light when actually starting! Previously had an Astra diesel and had to wait for the light to go out before attempting to start. Sometimes had to go through this procedure twice!! Just jumped in the Surf shortly after getting it and forgot about glo-plugs, it started instantly and always has for two years. Thought I had blown bulb before though!
                        Yes! It's still in the garage. M1ROD

Comment

Working...
                        X