will not move

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• will not move

toped up trans fluid in gearbox the other day,then set of to work about 30 milles away when i arived at work stoped car to pull into car space and no drive power at all so i have had her towed back to my home i havant changed the trans fluid since i got her 2 yrs back could this be the problem that it needs a total change?

Trans Fluid

On a similar subject as Tonys Surf,Is it possible that overfilling the transmission gearbox will affect the gear changing on a 2.4 93 diesel model.

Comment

Originally posted by tonys surf
      toped up trans fluid in gearbox the other day,then set of to work about 30 milles away when i arived at work stoped car to pull into car space and no drive power at all so i have had her towed back to my home i havant changed the trans fluid since i got her 2 yrs back could this be the problem that it needs a total change?

No, fluid will never degrade to the point where drive is suddenly lost as you are describing. Its either a valve or a mechanical problem with the selector. Does it not operate in any gear at all? if so its not trying to select them.

Al.
      I used to have a surf me!

Comment

If it was working before your topped it then you need first rule out things you've done, ie correct oil? or overfilled it.

Or it could just be a coincedence.

I'd drain it and refill first anyway.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by scottpx
          On a similar subject as Tonys Surf,Is it possible that overfilling the transmission gearbox will affect the gear changing on a 2.4 93 diesel model.
          I've heard that overfilling produces foaming, but not seen it personally.
          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Check you haven't knocked the short gear lever into neutral, it should be pulled back into H2, or towards the drivers seat. Put transmission into 'Park' or 'Neutral' then move short lever towards you.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
              Check you haven't knocked the short gear lever into neutral, it should be pulled back into H2, or towards the drivers seat. Put transmission into 'Park' or 'Neutral' then move short lever towards you.

Doh...... I never thought of advising on that but you ARE QUITE RIGHT TO MENTION IT vINCE AS i BET THATS BEEN DONE BEFORE

Oooh Think i hit the caps lock there.....
              I used to have a surf me!

Comment

Originally posted by phoebelala
                No, fluid will never degrade to the point where drive is suddenly lost as you are describing. Its either a valve or a mechanical problem with the selector. Does it not operate in any gear at all? if so its not trying to select them.

Al.
                it as been giving me truble for about a week know, as i come to pull of i have needed that extra exeleration at start it rolling. so my frend told me to check fluid in trans box wich i did and added half a pint then set of for work and now i have to give it a min then try again then it goes again.

Comment

its not your back brakes binding is it?
                  it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Did you check the fluid level with the engine running?
                    What size engine do you have? 2.4 , 3.0 or V6?

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                      I've heard that overfilling produces foaming, but not seen it personally.
                      mine is a 3ltr n reg 1996 3rd gen im going to change all of trans fluid to see if this helps.

Comment

Did you check the fluid level with the engine running?
                        What size engine do you have? 2.4 , 3.0 or V6?
                        i have the 3ltr 1996 n reg 3 gen ive checked this and it looks as if to much in im going to try and change the lot and see if this helps

Comment

h2, on my 3rd gen is towards the dash ive had my surf for 2 yrs know and thank you for your help

Comment

Originally posted by Chillitt
                            its not your back brakes binding is it?
                            no it isant mate as it free when in n it free weeles

Comment

Working...
                            X