fuel figures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuel figures

£40 of derv plus 12 litres of oil gave me a return of 485 km from full, down to the quarter mark , urban plus dual carriageways mainly 40 to 65 mph .which is about 304 miles , giving 26.5 mpg , i'm more than happy with that , seeing as my 1.4 auto corsa gives about 20 mpg at the moment .

So you mix derv and oil ???...vegi oil i take it ???

What engine mods do you have for this ???

With a full tank right to to the neck i can get about 430kms before the light comes on... This is nearly all city driving too..

Only thing i did was use a cleaner called forte diesel treatment..I was honestly lucky to get 380km on full tank before this was put in...
    Last edited by david306; 17 May 2006, 13:36.

Comment

none mate , but looking to fit a heated fuel cat when one becomes available .it runs and starts as sweet as a nut , no difference what so ever

Comment

I would love to try the veg oil but scared it might damage my engine...

Comment

alot of surf owners on here use it , some even running 100% oil , the percentage i use 75/25 wont even trouble the pump . they do recommend you change the fuel filter after 1000 miles though as the oil catches $$$$ from the bottom of the tank .go on try it , thinner oil is best like rape seed

Comment

Everyone's doing it, its the next Celebrity trend!

We've recenlty stripped Linda's 3.0 down for new big ends and the head, piston tops and block is completely clean and fine, this is after 2 years of running filtered waste veg oil at about 40 liters of veg to 20L of derv per tank in the summer and 20l of veg per tank in the winter.

Reminds me of a LPG'ed petrol motor, no carbon build up at all apart from a little around the injector ends, but even this is less than most Derv engines I see.
            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Tony

I was hoping someone would know about running filtered WVO. I am making biodiesel but the idea of just adding filtered WVO (at the ratios you suggest) would be better for me (no messing around with nasty chemicals) What micron filter do you use? Is you oil very dark when you use it? Just been wondering what effect impurities may have..
              1996 3rd generation surf

Comment

Another thought... I have twin batteries (winter pack?) how do I know if I have a heated fuel filter - which others claim to have? Also, do you atttempt to wash your waste veg oil?
                Last edited by Jim-Phillips; 18 May 2006, 10:53.
                1996 3rd generation surf

Comment

All 2nd gen Surfs apart from the earlist ones have two batterys, the 'winter pack' is actually really rare, look at your fuel filter if it has wires going into the top of the filter head, by the primer pump, then you have a fuel filter heater. Also pop the fuse cover off and see if there is a relay in the fuel heater slot, it tells you where it should go on the lid.

We don't mess with oil much, it gets filtered through a pillow case, and tossed in the car. Simple as that.

Having said that, the oil only used for frying chips, they rarely cook meat in it, so it has none of the nasty stuff in it.

After filtering its not much different looking from new stuff, just not quite as golden.

Seems to me there is no point filtering it better than what the fuel filter on car does, if thats good enough for toyota, it good enough for me. So we just get all cack out, and then let the fuel filter do its job.
                  4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Tony

I like the sound of your set up. I have a primary filter (fly screen) that catches bits of batter and chips. I then pump (finished biodiesel) through a 1 micron filter. I take your point about having a Toyota fuel filter to do the job but like to filter it before it goes into the tank anyway. With you set up I can skip the nasty chemical stage and still run at about the same ratios that I do now - I'm sold..

Do you find you get water in your oil? Does the fuel filter warning light come on frequently?
                    1996 3rd generation surf

Comment

Working...
                    X