Removing the sticky stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing the sticky stuff

I have wind deflectors fitted on the windows of my Surf and I want to take them off because I don't like the look - and the car wash doesn't wash whe windows with them on..

They are glued on using a sort of sticky pad - same as all the badges on the rear of the truck. I can slice through the sticky pad easily to remove the deflectors but what is the easiest way to remove the sticky stuff that remains stuck to the paint work? Are there any chemicals that are strong enough to break down the rubber but not too strong to harm the paint?

I am sure someone will have the answer... please
    1996 3rd generation surf

You could try a hot air paint stripper type thingy. Don't melt the window rubber though!

p.s. You take your truck to a CAR WASH????!!

Comment

You could try WD40.

I use it to remove all sorts of labels and sticky pads. As long as it can get to the "glue" part it may do the trick.

Comment

UPVC solvent cleaner , get it from any upvc window place for about £3.50 a litre. Works a treat , also good for cleaning stainless steel and 101 other things in the house.

Andy.

Comment

use a hair dryer and carefully pull as you heat the strip of sticky stuff,then use nail varnish remover on the glue thats left or t-cut or autoglym tar and glue remover

if i pay the postage on the deflectors could i have them off you . ???

if they are 100% aok that is.
          Last edited by internetsurfer; 9 May 2006, 17:48.

Comment

Originally posted by internetsurfer
            use a hair dryer and carefully pull as you heat the strip of sticky stuff,then use nail varnish remover on the glue thats left or t-cut or autoglym tar and glue remover

if i pay the postage on the deflectors could i have them off you . ???

if they are 100% aok that is.
            Thanks for the tips - I'll see which one works.

The deflectors are scratched and one is cracked - one of the reasons for taking them off. I doubt you would want them..
            1996 3rd generation surf

Comment

Nail varnish remover was the easiest thing to buy and I can confirm that it makes the job a lot easier. I don't know what is in the sticky stuff, but if NASA used it on their shuttles it would probably solve their problem of bits falling off...
              1996 3rd generation surf

Comment

no worries jim.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim-Phillips View Post
                  Nail varnish remover was the easiest thing to buy and I can confirm that it makes the job a lot easier. I don't know what is in the sticky stuff, but if NASA used it on their shuttles it would probably solve their problem of bits falling off...
                  I know im bringing up an old thread and all but anyone reading thius please dont use nail varnish remover its acetone based and WILL dissolve your paint!

Comment

Wind deflectors

Can i buy the rear ones if its from a 3rd gen which i think you have. I reaaly only need the Passenger side rear. Email me on fuelcat@btconnect.com
                    Thanks Philip
                    Still Searching,
                    Dick Whittington

Comment

I'm guessing the deflectors may have gone by now. Look at the date of the posts

Comment

Originally posted by biosurf View Post
                        I'm guessing the deflectors may have gone by now. Look at the date of the posts
                        Along with the Surf and the owner as well.

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/se...earchid=788026

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev View Post

Nev
                          Nifty linky no worky

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev View Post

Nev
                            Yep - it's 2 years since the last post
                            Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

Re Wind deflectors

Just a point of interest (at the risk of semantics) - they're not wind deflectors.

Toyota and everyone in Oz and Kiwiland correctly refer to them as 'weather shields.' They're designed for monsoon countries, allowing you to open the windows of a hot vehicle without the risk of getting drowned.

That's why they're deafening, don't work well as wind deflectors and weren't fitted to 4-Runners.

Comment

Working...
                              X