Adjustable shocks on a 4Runner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adjustable shocks on a 4Runner

Right, now I've done a search on this, and drawn a blank. I need to fit new rear shocks to my 4Runner and being a cheapskate I've acquired a pair of genuine Toyota adjustable shocks secondhand. 4Runners don't have adjustable shocks. The only thing is I need to work out
    1. How many settings the shocks have, and
    2. What setting to leave the shocks on
    They appear to have only two settings, hard and soft from experimenting with turning the adjuster and seeing how much force is needed to push them down. Does this sound right? And for general use, what would be the best setting to leave them on? I don't think I'll be able to change the settings once they're on as there is no room to get in there, so I'd like to get it right first time.

Yup, the surf adjuster motor only has 2 positions.

I'd leave them on hard personally.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

I leave mine on "Hard" all the time now - "Normal" is a bit too bouncy with the truck empty, and far too floppy with any load in. I suspect this is due to wear, as they seemed OK before my French trip. If you have acquired your shocks second hand, they will likely have a fair few miles on them - my recommendation would be for the hard setting, and see what it feels like for a few hundred miles of mixed driving.

Your mileage may vary!
      Peter

I am not a number. I am a FREE MAN!

Comment

My Landcruiser springs have started to soften a bit now, (been on the truck since last june!) I actually saw movement from the rear of the truck when the dogs jumped out the other day, and it wasn't the tyres!

Comment

Thanks for your replies, I'll set them on hard, All I need to do now is work out how to get my arm to bend in three places to get to the top mounting nuts

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainBeaky
            I leave mine on "Hard" all the time now - "Normal" is a bit too bouncy with the truck empty, and far too floppy with any load in. I suspect this is due to wear, as they seemed OK before my French trip. If you have acquired your shocks second hand, they will likely have a fair few miles on them - my recommendation would be for the hard setting, and see what it feels like for a few hundred miles of mixed driving.

Your mileage may vary!
            does having the suspension setting on hard alter the mpg ?

Comment

Nope!

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                My Landcruiser springs have started to soften a bit now, (been on the truck since last june!) I actually saw movement from the rear of the truck when the dogs jumped out the other day, and it wasn't the tyres!
                Have you got 'cruiser springs on your surf mate? 'cos I gotta stiffen the rear end up, soon as you put a bag of ballast(25kg) in the back it starts droppin like f***!!
                Nihil illigitimi carborundum

Comment

Here you go....

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ruiser+springs

Comment

Working...
                  X