sludged up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sludged up?

ok, thats another oil change done..but i'm slightly confused..nothing new there then..i've always done my own oil and filter changes, and my routine is as follows..i always measure the level on the dipstick whilst the engine is cold..ie, first thing in the morning, when all the oil has drained back into the sump overnight..that being the case, the level is on the "full" mark, and its easy to get a good reading..

right.to do the change, i get it nice and hot..park up, drain the oil, undo the filter and get the kettle on...i usually leave it until every last trickle has stopped..then i throw one can in knowing she'll take at least that..check the dipstick, chuck a bit more in until it starts to show..crank it over and let it run for a minute, then switch off..by now the filter would have gulped some down, so i'll put a little in at a time until it reaches half way up the dipstick..then boil the kettle again....half an hour later, i'll check it again, by which time, it'll only need a trickle to get it up to the mark..

question is, why can't i get more than 6 litres in, when the capacity should be 8 litres including the filter? always the same story..6 out, six in..

i can only assume that i'm taking the reading on a cold engine with every drop of oil in the sump, whereas i SHOULD be reading the level with the engine hot and therefore some of the oil sitting around the engine..but 2 litres? ...or...the engine is holding a couple of litres of sludge, despite having done a flush at the previous change? i always run the engine on semi-synthetic..last time halfords own, this time magnatec...usually one or t'other, depending on finances..maybe it had previously been run on mineral oil, and not been changed regularly enough?

this being the case, if one dose of flushing oil didn't break it up, are there any other easy options to explore, or is it a case of flushing it through at each change and hope it clears it out eventually..any input appreciated, as always.

dump oil in to what have you then while still got sump plug out start engine up (with no oil in it) and let it run for 1 minute with out reving it. this lets the oil pump get the dregs out, then refill,
    running motor with no oil for a minute will not harm it.
    john
    Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

thanks for that john..must admit, its not something i'd have done without the assurance of someone like yourself..i guess you are right, there will be oil residue around the important bits, so shouldn't be an issue on a 60 second tickover..i'll bear it in mind for the next change...ta.

Comment

Should only be 7 to 7.5 litres including filter.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
          Should only be 7 to 7.5 litres including filter.

cheers vince..dunno where i got the idea she took eight litres..maybe i was accounting for some spillage factor? anyway.i've got to get the bonnet up again, i put one of those snazzy blue airfilter housing pipes on from roughtrax yesterday, so must give passers by a chance to admire it before the spilt magnatec takes the shine off.

Comment

Originally posted by john.sally
            running motor with no oil for a minute will not harm it.
            john
            Hmmm! Are you sure about that? No way would I do that on the Surf.

Nev

Comment

The white metal bearings on the crankshaft mains take the friction when there is no oil pressure. I wouldn't trust them for more than a second or two because that is all they're designed for.

Unless the Toyota unit has roller bearings on the crank, conrods and camshaft (I suspect it doesn't but someone on here is bound to know for certain) I personally wouldn't run the engine without oil on a regular basis, but I presume John.Sally is seeing no ill effects?

Comment

Originally posted by NFC
                The white metal bearings on the crankshaft mains take the friction when there is no oil pressure. I wouldn't trust them for more than a second or two because that is all they're designed for.

Unless the Toyota unit has roller bearings on the crank, conrods and camshaft (I suspect it doesn't but someone on here is bound to know for certain) I personally wouldn't run the engine without oil on a regular basis, but I presume John.Sally is seeing no ill effects?
                As you say these bearing surfaces require oil to prevent metal to metal friction, I'd not like to have mine run without it. I can't imagine the oil pump being overly happy running on empty for more than a second or so either.
                Maurice
                Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Not to mention the Turbo which has non contact bearings which means no oil, bye bye turbo.

Nev

Comment

have you not seen the slick 50 adverts were they drive a car in the dersert(arizona i think) without any oil in the g/box or the engine.

i'm aware of many mechanics who practise this, and how many of you start up in the morning engage drive and go, also swich off the motor as soon as you engage park.

when you drain the oil and run it for a short while there's still oil in the engine, unlike on first start up when it has all drained to the sump and the top end and bores are dry.

happy replying to this doggy idea
                    john
                    Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

have you not seen the slick 50 adverts were they drive a car in the dersert(arizona i think) without any oil in the g/box or the engine.
                      No. Never seen that one. I use Slick 50 and sold it also many years ago.

i'm aware of many mechanics who practise this, and how many of you start up in the morning engage drive and go, also swich off the motor as soon as you engage park.
                      Mechanics may do that, but they really don't give a s**t. What's wrong with driving straight after startup. The engine warms up quicker under load and this is better than having it sit there idling cold for a long period. Shutdown immediately after stoping is ok as long as the turbo has not been working hard.

when you drain the oil and run it for a short while there's still oil in the engine, unlike on first start up when it has all drained to the sump and the top end and bores are dry.
                      Yes there may still be a small amount of oil but without oil pressure what good is it. On first start up most oil has indeed drained back to the sump but with anti drain back valves in the oil filter, pressure is supplied very quickly.

Comment

Working...
                      X