Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gearbox clutch flywheel?

hi

i am writing this for my dad so anyhelp will be passed onto him.

we have a toyota hi lux 3l TD its a ssr-x.we started getting a problem with a rattle coming from gearbox once in a while then around 3 days ago there was a wierd noise coming from box which sounded like a biked chain clunking and the hi lux was slipping out of gear.We have been working on it for 3 days now getting the gear box out and looking for the problem.we suspected clutch or gearbox,when we got the clutch out my dad said the fly wheel could be the cause as clutch looked fine.We got the fly wheel of and it has abit of give to it like you can move it.We phoned a garage and said for a replacement flywheel its £210 and you will need a new clutch as the old ones will not fit the new solid flywheels.So total of £404 will be for clutch and flywheel.Has anyone on hear heard of this problem or have had this problem?

Yeah, replacement 'dual mass' flywheels are £400+ better to fit a solid 4Runner flywheel, but you will need a new clutch.

There has been posts that you can strip the original Surf flywheel and replace the springs, but I've had no experiance of that yet.

see here......

http://www.toyotadiesel.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1780

Unfortunatly, the replacement springs are from an American car, you'll need to find some from something else.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Yeah, I had the same problem on My surf, In the end it sounded like there was a midget in the bellhousing with a hammer!
      When we removed the gearbox and clutch, you could rotate the back half of the flywheel slightly before it turned the motor, But, you could also rock the back half from side to side. As well, it had thrown grease all round the bellhousing.
      The Surf had only done 100,000 Km (60,000Miles) and it looked like the flywheel was an aftermarket one already).
      The solid flywheel doens't seem to make any diffenernce to the way the engine performs of the way the vehicle drives.

Comment

abit of a update

well we got the flywheel kit and clutch from milner we got it all put back together and gearbox back on,But my dad said the drive shaft at back of gearbox should not turn if the box is in gear?we put it in gear and the back still would turn he said that should be turning the whole engine over.we took box back out and he stopped held the inside of the box and i still could spin that back.He reckons the gear box is fudged?

Comment

Originally posted by derekg
          abit of a update

well we got the flywheel kit and clutch from milner we got it all put back together and gearbox back on,But my dad said the drive shaft at back of gearbox should not turn if the box is in gear?we put it in gear and the back still would turn he said that should be turning the whole engine over.we took box back out and he stopped held the inside of the box and i still could spin that back.He reckons the gear box is fudged?

more update

we phoned up a guy who does these and he said the gearbox is electronic so it will freelyspin god sake lol the box has been in and out 3 times now and its a pig to get in and out.

Comment

more update

we phoned up a guy who does these and he said the gearbox is electronic so it will freelyspin god sake lol the box has been in and out 3 times now and its a pig to get in and out.
            Nah, thats not right, the output flange will only spin if you have the transfer case or the gearbox in neutral.

Have you split the t/case from the box, or is it one peice still?

Comment

well not sure what you mean the car is a manual gearbox and my dad had it in gear.we had the box all bolted up and he said to me try spinning the thing at back of box that had 4 bolts sticking out.i said its freely spinning i can move both ways,he said that should not do taht if its in gear it should be hard to spin as it will be turning the engine.
              Last edited by derekg; 9 March 2006, 22:37.

Comment

well not sure what you mean the car is a manual gearbox and my dad had it in gear.we had the box all bolted up and he said to me try spinning the thing at back of box that had 4 bolts sticking out.i said its freely spinning i can move both ways,he said that should not do taht if its in gear it should be hard to spin as it will be turning the engine.
                I mean if the gearbox is in gear but the transfer case is in neutral, it'll spin. Make sure the transfer case is in gear as well as the gearbox.

Comment

hi
                  i asked my dad and he said he had the gearbox in gear and the 4x4 in neutral and it was letting us move the back of the shift that sticks out of gear box.he said he put the gearbox in neutral also and 4x4 in netreul and it let is spin the out put at back of gearbox.

Comment

hi
                    i asked my dad and he said he had the gearbox in gear and the 4x4 in neutral and it was letting us move the back of the shift that sticks out of gear box.he said he put the gearbox in neutral also and 4x4 in netreul and it let is spin the out put at back of gearbox.
                    huh? Thats a bit hard to follow....

If either (or both) the gearbox or T/case is in Neutral, the output shaft will spin freely. They both need to be in gear to turn the engine from the back of the gearbox.

Comment

I've just searched for flywheel and found this conversation. I took my surf in for a service this week and the mechanic noticed a rattling in the gearbox. They took everything apart and found that the flywheel is the source.

Now, I didn't really understand what he was saying and I don't really understand most of this thread - but the two sound similar!!

He said that it there is very little damage at the minute but it will eventually be a big problem. They've had the same problem before and they sent it to Windhoek (the captial) and a company there altered it so that it was fixed in place - so it was now a solid flywheel. They reckon this is the best solution as getting a replacement part would be much more difficult and expensive and making this alteration makes no difference to the running of the car.

We need the car for the next month so we've decided to leave it for now and then get this done when we get back from our Easter holidays.

Does this sound ok to you expert types?

It's a 2.4 manual diesel.

Ta

Comment

Originally posted by fearghal

Does this sound ok to you expert types?

Ta
                        I guess so, as long as its fixed perminantly.

The only down side I can see is you may get a little clutch judder when pulling away, as the dampening effect of the original flywheel will have been removed.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                          I guess so, as long as its fixed perminantly.

The only down side I can see is you may get a little clutch judder when pulling away, as the dampening effect of the original flywheel will have been removed.
                          Thanks Tony.

They said the South African cars have a solid flywheel and the work fine. Not sure I'd even notice "clutch judder" as I've no idea what it is!!

Comment

Originally posted by fearghal
                            Thanks Tony.

They said the South African cars have a solid flywheel and the work fine. Not sure I'd even notice "clutch judder" as I've no idea what it is!!
                            You'll know if its bad enough.

Remember, cars fitted with a solid flywheel have the shock springs built into the clutch disc, Surfs have them built in to the flywheel, lock the flywheel and you have no shock springs at all. Thats why to convert properly, you fit a solid 4Runner flywheel, AND the 4runner clutch plate and disc so you have the whole thing from a 4Runner.

It might work, I don't if the Surf clutch plate has any springs built into it or not, they've done it before afterall, but you only have their word for it.

You may find the springs in the flywheel are extra to the normal springs in the clutch plate, in which case everything will be hunky-dory. If you find out let me know, as it would be useful to know.

Comment

Ok, so I took my surf back to the garage with a printout of this thread in my hand. Once he had stopped laughing at me proclaiming that I didn't understand any of this, he explained that the clutch plate does indeed have springs. This was the reason that they felt confident enough to do it last time as well.

So he should be sending my flywheel to Windhoek today and we should get it back sometime next week. Will let you know if it works!!

Fearghal

Comment

Working...
                              X