Is this a problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a problem?

I went to see a 3.0 Surf yesterday, and was quite impressed. Basically the engine was very clean, but not obviously steamed as it was a bit dusty. The cambelt had recently been changed, and it started 1st time

My son and I were looking it over with the engine on 'tickover', and after a few minutes we noticed that the exhaust had been spattering drops of oil on the floor.

The guy in the garage said it was because the cambelt had been changed, and it hadn't been moved for a while, but I'm worried it could be a problem with the 'head'.

Any ideas please?
    Cheers
    Trev D.

Are you sure it was oil and not just water and soot mix. If it's been sitting for a while there will be condensation in the exhaust. Take it for a good run to dry out the exhaust system and check again.

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by trevdowle
      I went to see a 3.0 Surf yesterday, and was quite impressed. Basically the engine was very clean, but not obviously steamed as it was a bit dusty. The cambelt had recently been changed, and it started 1st time

My son and I were looking it over with the engine on 'tickover', and after a few minutes we noticed that the exhaust had been spattering drops of oil on the floor.

The guy in the garage said it was because the cambelt had been changed, and it hadn't been moved for a while, but I'm worried it could be a problem with the 'head'.

Any ideas please?

if you have any doubts about the truck the best thing to do is keep away.
      there is lots of surfs to choose from so there is no need to buy the first one you see......

have a look on the for sale section on here see if any thing takes your fancy.........
      CHEERS JOHN................

Comment

Originally posted by slim
        if you have any doubts about the truck the best thing to do is keep away.
        there is lots of surfs to choose from so there is no need to buy the first one you see......

have a look on the for sale section on here see if any thing takes your fancy.........
        Yes good idea...The only trouble is I'm looking for a part exchange, and this rather rules out most of the ones advertised on this forum.

By the way, the residue did seem to be oily rather than sooty. I suppose a good run, and then another look would be a good idea. The only problem was I didn't have my part-ex with me, so they weren' t to keen to let me play with it.
        Cheers
        Trev D.

Comment

they weren' t to keen to let me play with it.
          If not go elsewhere.

Nev

Comment

get an AA/RAC inspection?not the RAC inspection that the garage already has done cos they just do that themselves!
            nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev
              Are you sure it was oil and not just water and soot mix. If it's been sitting for a while there will be condensation in the exhaust. Take it for a good run to dry out the exhaust system and check again.

Nev
              Thats what it sound like to me.??
              SLIPPERY WHEN WET.!!

Comment

**** out the exhaust

Any ideas please?
                i changed the cambelt on mine and no oil came out of it ,i presume you mean the rear tail pipe and not near the header/manifold .
                3lt is a big engine and has a big exhaust that will be full of **** mainly soot n lots of water as it aint bin run any distance for a while the exhaust will not have got hot get it on the motorway that will blast it out then check again. but for someone to say oil coming out of the exhaust because the cambelt has bin changed is bul£££it£ng or they dont know what their talkin about
                .but go giv it a blast it may kick a s/lot ov black smoke out when you accelerate up the slip road then it should run clean if not it may have a problem . aa or rac inspection is best gollygone

Comment

Working...
                X