Antifreeze Differences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antifreeze Differences

Hi all and thanks for the advice so far learned, but I've got a question that hasn't appeared in any of the searches:

How do you tell the difference between red and blue antifreeze without draining it? All that can be seen in the rad is fairly clear, but with a definite aroma of antifreeze, which was enough to convince me that it'd last out this cold snap but colder climes beckon so I need to refill it with a decent percentage of quality stuff.

Now I read of problems mixing the red and blue.

Would refilling with clean water, running to temp, draining and refilling with coolant do the job, or do read and blue gel in a big way if they ever meet?

I don't have a hose pipe that'll reach down from the flat and across the car park in order to flush the thing properly so that's out unless I get in the queue at Halfords, and them I don't trust.

Do the antifreezes smell different? Taste different? Is there anything that mixes with both??

Or do I just have to drain it then hope I can get to the nearest dealer before their parts department closes if it turns out to be a little bit pink?

Do Toyota dealers have parts departments open on a Saturday afternoon?

It was so much easier with the Land Rover - I'd have just looked at the colour of the leak.

Update

Having had some sleep, I came around to the obvious and drained a little out of the radiator to check.

There's a faint red colour in the coolant, but it is mainly brown so it's off to the dealer to get the job done properly. Probably not a bad idea to let the dealer see it anywas since I've only had it a couple of weeks.

Still interested to know if anyone's found something that would mix with either red or blue. Found some info on VWs where they have a similar problem and they have a G12a spec which mixes with both their colours. Anyone tried this in a Toyota?

Comment

i've not tried the intermixable vw brew myself, but when i replaced the radiator on my surf, i filled up with "toyota red"..a pre-mixed concoction brought from the main dealers..its probably unneccessary expense, but its there as an option.

Comment

Will be interested to follow this one, as i use blue for all cars i service. Think there is a green too??? I thought there was a certain colour that these smurfs usually came with from Japan- i don't know i'm rambling now, but will keep an eye on thread.

He who dies with the most toys-WINS

Comment

they all come from japland with the toyota red (usually!)

i've heard that depending what types you're mixing, it can cause it to turn to jelly... so best to flush out the old stuff and replace... (not a bad idea anyway)...
          nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Re-filling Rad

I seem to think that I have seen a procedure for flushing and re-filling the rad eliminating air locks - can anyone advise as I can not find it

Ta
            [SIZE=7][COLOR=YellowGreen][SIZE=5][FONT=Comic Sans MS]The difference between the men and the boys .................... the price of their toys ![/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by UKWolf
              I seem to think that I have seen a procedure for flushing and re-filling the rad eliminating air locks - can anyone advise as I can not find it

Ta
              http://www.allhead.com.au/cooling.html

Comment

Turns out it *was* red all along but there was that much gack in it that even the dealer couldn't get it all out. Hrmph!

Toyota have stopped doing blue antifreeze now, and gone green instead, but it still doesn't mix with the red. W H Y ?? It's not difficult, just chose your silicates a little more carefully.

Comment

mixing the different coolants causes a chemical reaction which eats at the heads causing $$$ head aches

Comment

Working...
                  X