Timing out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing out

I changed the cam belt yesterday, but I think I've got the timing slightly out, as there seems to be loss of power, and it takes forever to accelerate.

After searching other threads, it seems it is only a case of being one notch out.

Loss of power, and no black smoke seems to suggest under-fueling (i'm presuming that if the timing was out the other way, over-fueling would occur, and there'd be lots of black smoke).

Does this sound about right?!

And if so, which way should I move the belt to bring the timing back in?

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Cheers guys!
    I'd rather be scared to death than bored to death

hi B J i would not try to work it out , just take it of and fit it again if it is the same as mine just set it at the pump mark first and make sure the cam pully is on the mark then let the tensioner go and all should be fine ,,
    my belt had two white lines on it to line up to the timing marks, if yours did no just fit it so you have it tight on the opisit side to the tensioner
    john
    i bust things ,, it a skill i have ,,( need help?)

Comment

Originally posted by johnd
      hi B J i would not try to work it out , just take it of and fit it again if it is the same as mine just set it at the pump mark first and make sure the cam pully is on the mark then let the tensioner go and all should be fine ,,
      my belt had two white lines on it to line up to the timing marks, if yours did no just fit it so you have it tight on the opisit side to the tensioner
      john
      Thanks, I'll give that a go.

Whilst sat here thinking about it, what are the symptoms of the timing being out?

After driving my 2.5V6 Vauxhall there to pick it up from where I keep it, it might be that all I was noticing was the natural difference between the two engines.........

Any other thoughts?
      I'd rather be scared to death than bored to death

Comment

Working...
      X