Fuel guage on 2ndGen 3.0TD Auto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel guage on 2ndGen 3.0TD Auto

Now she's a thirsty girl and I try never to have less than half a tank, but where I'm currently working, it means that as I land on my drive in the evening, she's got just under 1/4 of a tank.
    Funny thing is that in the morning, that's dropped to about an 8th of a tank remaining.
    Now I'm guessing it's because fuel is taken from the tank to the engine where its warmed up, some of it is used but the now warm frothy surplus is returned back to the tank (which helps improve winter running).
    Warm frothy diesel probably takes up more space than cold…. errm... none-frothy diesel hence the odd readings first thing in the morning when she’s cold.

Does this sound about right, or is somebody taking my truck for a drive in the evening and not telling me ?

Mine does something similar. I think it's to do with the voltage from the batteries overnight compared to the power delivered by the alternator when the engine is running. One of the electrical geniuses on here can probably explain the physics involved but I doubt it's someone taking it for a drive every night (hopefully)!!
    Mike G

Comment

Originally posted by kcsl
      Now she's a thirsty girl and I try never to have less than half a tank, but where I'm currently working, it means that as I land on my drive in the evening, she's got just under 1/4 of a tank.
      Funny thing is that in the morning, that's dropped to about an 8th of a tank remaining.
      Now I'm guessing it's because fuel is taken from the tank to the engine where its warmed up, some of it is used but the now warm frothy surplus is returned back to the tank (which helps improve winter running).
      Warm frothy diesel probably takes up more space than cold…. errm... none-frothy diesel hence the odd readings first thing in the morning when she’s cold.

Does this sound about right, or is somebody taking my truck for a drive in the evening and not telling me ?
      Hi,
      I am a fairly old ex seafarer, most boats have diesel back up...we alus filled up before tieing up in "port", full tanks mean no problems...I have carried it forward to my land lubber days now...truck alus filled on way home....notice all these hauliers...? last thing before they clean truck when enterin yard an parkin is to fill up...ready for next day's work - aye - but really also to keep tank full and with very warm derv in the fuel lines for easier startin....It's getting colder up here now, diesel gets very "thick" in underground storage tanks overnight - just another reason to fill before evenin....

Peter

Comment

Working...
      X