box coming out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• box coming out

hi all i just dragged my surf into work and will be pulling the box out , to sort my loss of drive . got to wait for a bigger trany jack as we only have car sized ones hehe..
    i am hopeing for the flex plate but will live with a converter but dread anything more .
    i will make a start sat am but can only work in my own time ( yer right ).
    but i want to add that i did the cam belt today and it took longer to get the cover of than it did to change the belt and it looked like it had been done just as the seller told me , but i wanted to be sure ..
    i will let you know how it go`s on ..
    and thanks to tonyn and all the rest of the mebers for the help so far .....
    john
    i bust things ,, it a skill i have ,,( need help?)

is the transfer box chain drive intact? just a thought before you pull the lot apart..
    it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

hi mate not sure yet but i got a lot of clattering in the bellhousing so i got to start with that i think . anyway at least i get to clean all the mud of it
      john...

Comment

have fun, anyway. dont forget to take lots of pictures to keep us ammused
        it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

i told the lads to eat lots of shreadies in the morning,,,,,
          plus i just remembered that i ripped of the n/s/f/ antiroll bar bracket and to get home i welded it on at the farm oopsss i think i got to cut that of and sort it later ..
          john

Comment

hi all i got the box out , not as bad as i thought .
            took about 4 hours but i did take of more than i needed to .
            flex plate is ok but the converter feels as if the impeller on the gear box side is loose and is moveing about if shaken , is that normal or is that bust , as i am not sure if the gearbox imput shaft is all that holds it or is it fitted on a bearing .( and i never bust anything getting it out,).
            john..

Comment

Originally posted by johnd
              hi all i got the box out , not as bad as i thought .
              took about 4 hours but i did take of more than i needed to .
              flex plate is ok but the converter feels as if the impeller on the gear box side is loose and is moveing about if shaken , is that normal or is that bust , as i am not sure if the gearbox imput shaft is all that holds it or is it fitted on a bearing .( and i never bust anything getting it out,).
              john..
              Hi,
              Just seen this on here.....your next step seems to be diagnosis, right ? Is the torque convertor and the drive plate behind it (next to gearbox) both checked out for straight ie turning /spinning without being buckled..think the maximum runout should be no more than .20mm. This necessitates use of a dial gauge to check as its too small for the eye to establish. Also are the gear teeth undamaged ? If you detect the "impeller" is in fact the drive plate this sounds like it needs new bearing...hope it is this, because then you maybe wont have to get inside the actual gearbox.. all you can do is replace the bearings if knackered on even suspect on both these items, then check they are running in alignment and smoothly...then re-assemble and re-fit tranny. Dont forget to re-fill autobox with dextron 3 to correct level and set up the selector levers before you re-start the car.....

Comment

Hi Uplander , thanks for the info , I had a good poke about with the tourque converter today and it looks like it has fell to bits. the impeler for the imput shaft is floping loose and i got a few small bits of steel out with a magnet..
                a mate of mine bulds race rover V8s and has a firm that will fix it up .
                I think they cut it in half and remanufacrure it so i hope that all the bits stayed in the converter.
                john
                Last edited by johnd; 18 October 2005, 19:27.

Comment

hi all my tourque converter had fallen to bits so i have another one so i hope it will be running at the weekend .
                  is there a way of charging the system or is it just keep putting it in till its full..
                  john

Comment

all done now and running fine and no bits left over .
                    hardest job ( cooler pipes and down pipe ) and it took almost ten lts of A.T.F.
                    just got to sort the anti roll bar bracket that i cut of and it will be good as new..
                    john

Comment

Working...
                    X