engine wobble when turning off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• engine wobble when turning off

got a little prob with switching off the engine. Runs fine and pulls well etc but when I stop and switch it off I get a bad wobble. Have just lapped in the inlet manifold so it could be a missed pipe or connector but don't know what to look at. Pretty sure I reconnected all the bits.

Any suggestions?

Cheers
    Mart

......surf's up pal!

Mine does the same, I think I need new engine mounts.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
      Mine does the same, I think I need new engine mounts.
      Is that what causes the engine to clatter away whilst on tick over??

Mine rattles quite loudly it but sounds fine and stops if you up the revs to about 1500rpm.

Its annoying for it to be loud on tick over... any suggestions?

Cheers
      Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Pleinmont

Mine rattles quite loudly it but sounds fine and stops if you up the revs to about 1500rpm.

Cheers
        Dan
        It's probably louder on tickover 'cos the engine oil is not being pumped around as much.
        Have you checked your oil level recently?

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
          It's probably louder on tickover 'cos the engine oil is not being pumped around as much.
          Have you checked your oil level recently?
          Hey

Thats a good point... I should check more

I'll have a look when I get home tonight. Cheers for the tip!

I had a look under the bonnet at lunch and the whole engine does seem to vibrate until 1500rpm where it settles down completely - could be a resonance thing where its not keen on idling.

Onwards and upwards
          Ta
          Dan

Comment

I had a look under the bonnet at lunch and the whole engine does seem to vibrate until 1500rpm where it settles down completely - could be a resonance thing where its not keen on idling.

Onwards and upwards
            Ta
            Dan
            or maybe someone has fitted a diesel engine without you knowing..............

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
              or maybe someone has fitted a diesel engine without you knowing..............

Hehe

Thats what I suspected

Might just be me noticing it more now cos my wife said it was too noisy!
              Always assumed it was a diesel truck trait so never paid it much attention...

If its perfectly normal i'll ignore it

Comment

Sorted the prob.....the inlet manifold was letting alot of air by. So when you turned off the engine air can still get into the chambers and a little run on happens. In the throttle body there is a second butter-fly valve which closes on engine turn off. This is to stop any air getting into the cylinders and hence stop run on. Air getting in at the manifold point bypasses this second valve and you get run-on.

The run-on makes it feel like the engine wobbles and I thought that my engine mounts were shot.

The fix was to remove the manifold and put instant gasket on both sides of the manifold gaskets and quickly put it back together and torque up. This guarantees no air gaps at all. Increased boost to as there are no leaks, and no more blooming squealing where the boost pressure was escaping from between the head and manifold.

thank go its sorted as I was getting rather fed up.
                Mart

......surf's up pal!

Comment

Cheers
                  Dan
                  check your bottom pulley,
                  when ticking over the pulley mite be rattling but when you rev it it goes . if you look at bottom pulley with engine running and then rev the engine if its goosed you will see it move back and forth as you rev it up from tickover, mine was doing this
                  £100 for a new pulley from Toyota/milners. easy diy job providing you have/or can borrow a puller.
                  john
                  Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

Working...
                  X