guess what..... another new surf owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• guess what..... another new surf owner

I have just picked up a 1994 3.0 TD surf. it's great but it suffers from a whine which appears to be related to the clutch. ie cluch in no whine as soon as the clush is engadged when these a whine any ideas?

ta

Originally posted by crofter
    I have just picked up a 1994 3.0 TD surf. it's great but it suffers from a whine which appears to be related to the clutch. ie cluch in no whine as soon as the clush is engadged when these a whine any ideas?

ta

Clutch release bearing knackered for sure. You might aswell get a new clutch fitted at the same time.

Andy

Comment

Yup.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
        Yup.
        That does not sound nice, what happens if its not fixed and how much any idea?

Comment

Clutch kit from here is £185 plus vat..
          .http://www.milneroffroad.com/KZN130.htm

Nothing much will happen for a while, but the squealing will make you get it sorted before the clutch bearing goes completely.

Comment

Clutch kit from here is £185 plus vat..
            .http://www.milneroffroad.com/KZN130.htm

Nothing much will happen for a while, but the squealing will make you get it sorted before the clutch bearing goes completely.
            Also if the bearing inner race is slipping on the shaft then it could cause more damage after time, it will either have to be machined and an odd size bearing put on or other option- reverse engineered (shaft metal built back up)
            I would get it fixed in the next couple of months, like bushwacker says it could start to get louder and screech (reminds me of a certain xr2 I owned!) and cost you more in the long run.

Should be a couple of hundred quid.

Andy

Comment

Thanks guys, i'll get it fixed asap. but i have to say its a great car anything else i should watch out for.

sorry another question how much effort is involved with replacing the arial / sterio.

ps i'm no machanic

Comment

Thanks guys, i'll get it fixed asap. but i have to say its a great car anything else i should watch out for.

sorry another question how much effort is involved with replacing the arial / sterio.

ps i'm no machanic
                The stereo is easy, theres instructions on the site somewhere if you search. You need to take lumps of the dash off but its easy. It must be I did it an a couple of hours

Bogus
                Сви можемо

Comment

update

Should be a couple of hundred quid.

Andy
                  New Clutch + lots of cash = still have whine and Pi$$ed off wife :-(

only happens when its warmed up. ie. picked up the surf from the garrage drove for 15 mile happy, then the whine kicked in again. any ideas?

Comment

Are you sure it's not coming from the gearbox rather than the clutch? maybe check the gearbox oil level if it only whines when it's warm, it could need topping up or even changing.

Comment

Are you sure it's not coming from the gearbox rather than the clutch? maybe check the gearbox oil level if it only whines when it's warm, it could need topping up or even changing.
                      I will check that out

Oh and since i got the buggie back the turbo doesn't half whine any idea that might have caused that?

Comment

I will check that out

Oh and since i got the buggie back the turbo doesn't half whine any idea that might have caused that?
                        If I were you I`d try to elaborate a bit more on your questions then the guys will find it easier to diagnose your problem more accurately. Its easy to make the wrong diagnosis (as you`ve found out) with only a few words to go on.

Does the turbo whine all the time? At standstill or at high revs? When the engine is under strain or when accelerating? Can you hear it with the bonnet up? Are you certain its the turbo? How would you describe the noise, and does it change? Are you sure it isn`t related to your other problem?

Noises can sound like they are coming from somewhere entirely different depending on your position. I could`ve sworn my O/S wheel was making a clunking noise the other day and spent an hour looking for the problem until my mate came along and listened to the noise outside the cockpit and he found it was actually coming from the N/S wheel instead!!

Good luck mate!
                        [font=Comic Sans MS][color=red][b][u]SSR-G SURF `N` REG 95[/u][/b][/color][/font]
                        [img]http://tinypic.com/i1k95k.jpg[/img]

Comment

I had a knock from my drivers side wheel the other day and then a clatter driving along. Now my bottom shock bolt has broken/fallen out and the shock is dangling in mid air
                          Tim
                          Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Originally posted by dirtydog
                            I had a knock from my drivers side wheel the other day and then a clatter driving along. Now my bottom shock bolt has broken/fallen out and the shock is dangling in mid air
                            SHOCKING!!

I hope it hasn`t done any other damage? How old are the shocks on there? Who fitted them or were they already on?

I don`t know if you need new ones, but as a matter of interest, Roughtrax sell them for £32 a piece. Obviously you wouldn`t just replace one so you can double that!!
                            [font=Comic Sans MS][color=red][b][u]SSR-G SURF `N` REG 95[/u][/b][/color][/font]
                            [img]http://tinypic.com/i1k95k.jpg[/img]

Comment

Working...
                            X