Under Bonnet Rattle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Under Bonnet Rattle

I've seen this crop up from time to time and not a really positive solution. Well the dreaded rattle started on mine about 2 months ago. It was loud at start up, standstill and slow speeds AAAAGH! It would ease if I pushed on the bonnet between the wiper blades and at first I couldn't find a damn thing loose.

It got worse and seemed to echo round the bulk head. So in a fit I went over everything and at last found the culprit.

Attached to the bulkhead by a 10mm bolt is the heater valve bracket and it was loose. Tightened it up but the noise was still there. Back to the bracket and this time found that the screws that hold the heater valve to the bracket were loose as well. Tightened everything and bingo...no rattles at all!

My guess is the loose bracket loosened the screws etc.

Originally posted by VMC
    I've seen this crop up from time to time and not a really positive solution. Well the dreaded rattle started on mine about 2 months ago. It was loud at start up, standstill and slow speeds AAAAGH! It would ease if I pushed on the bonnet between the wiper blades and at first I couldn't find a damn thing loose.

It got worse and seemed to echo round the bulk head. So in a fit I went over everything and at last found the culprit.

Attached to the bulkhead by a 10mm bolt is the heater valve bracket and it was loose. Tightened it up but the noise was still there. Back to the bracket and this time found that the screws that hold the heater valve to the bracket were loose as well. Tightened everything and bingo...no rattles at all!

My guess is the loose bracket loosened the screws etc.
    Same thing happened to me a while back.

I got this really bad rattling, jingling sound when slow or idling etc!

It seem to be coming from the steering shaft area as I could feel a vague vibration when I was driving!

This terrified me as I thought I would be shelling out big bucks.

Turns it it was the turbo housing had lost a nut and had fell against the steering column!

As soon as I tightened it up the surf was running quiet as a mouse!

Later!

Gary

P.S. I recently Waxoyled the underside, hopefully I done it ok, intending to give it a better coating soon!

Anyhow, I was amazed at the way it dampened down ALL sorts of noise, creaking, groaning and tyre noise have now totally gone!

The surf is deathly quiet now, just like new!

Comment

i got a really loud rattle after taking out the air filter housing whilst doing some stuff in there.

I obviously did not tighten it enough, and the noise was enough to panic us into thinking it would be expensive. It wasn't!! just a few more turns on the filter housing screws and its all quiet again.
      adam

"silly keeps you sane"

Comment

Working...
      X