New fuel filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New fuel filter

Did it this morning because the truck was running like a dog with no revs or power and intermittent 'check engine' light.

I set aside a couple of hours as I'd never done one before. Had it done in all of ten minutes!

For info for others I found it very easy to do it as follows. The experts on here can point out any easier way or big goofs I may have made!

I found it hard to take out the plastic float switch / drain tap housing from the bottom of the filter in situ, so...

1) Undo the two fuel pipes and remove from the filter housing.

2) Undo the float switch connector.

3) undo the filter housing nuts on the bracket and remove filter assembly.

HOLD UPRIGHT until you have a handy receptacle for dealing with the manky diesel / chip fat / general sludge mix.

4) Change trousers for ones not drenched in diesel / chip fat / general sludge mix.

5) It's now easy to wrap a rag around the float switch / drain tap housing and undo anti-clockwise from the old filter.

6) See if the filter will remove by hand from the housing, find it wont, so either clamp it so you can get better purchase with your chose filter wrench, ot drop it over the stub bolts on the car and do it there. Remove filter. (Mine wasn't very tight at all, certainly not as tight as the oil filter!!!)

7) Marvel at the amount of **** that resides in your filter. Throw it away or save to show to your soon to be amazed friends.

8) Clean up the mating face of the filter housing and clean the gunk off the float switch, and fit the filter to the housing and the float switch the the filter.

9) Re-fit the whole assembly back from whence it came, pushing on and clamping the fuel pipes.

10) Prime the filter by pressing the plunger on the top of the filter housing until resistance can be felt, then press it some more for luck.

11) Start engine and go for a run, marvelling at how the truck will now rev freely and pull like a train.

12) Feel proud of yourself for saving a few quid in garage bills

PS. As this is the first chance for a week or so I've had to this, I wasn't sure whether the ECU had gone into sulk mode so I disconnected both batteries for half an hour and lobotomised it. Everything great now. Goes like a train!
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Originally posted by Apache
    Did it this morning because the truck was running like a dog with no revs or power and intermittent 'check engine' light.

I set aside a couple of hours as I'd never done one before. Had it done in all of ten minutes!

For info for others I found it very easy to do it as follows. The experts on here can point out any easier way or big goofs I may have made!

I found it hard to take out the plastic float switch / drain tap housing from the bottom of the filter in situ, so...

HOLD UPRIGHT until you have a handy receptacle for dealing with the manky diesel / chip fat / general sludge mix.

4) Change trousers for ones not drenched in diesel / chip fat / general sludge mix.

5) It's now easy to wrap a rag around the float switch / drain tap housing and undo anti-clockwise from the old filter.

6) See if the filter will remove by hand from the housing, find it wont, so either clamp it so you can get better purchase with your chose filter wrench, ot drop it over the stub bolts on the car and do it there. Remove filter. (Mine wasn't very tight at all, certainly not as tight as the oil filter!!!)

7) Marvel at the amount of **** that resides in your filter. Throw it away or save to show to your soon to be amazed friends.

8) Clean up the mating face of the filter housing and clean the gunk off the float switch, and fit the filter to the housing and the float switch the the filter.

9) Re-fit the whole assembly back from whence it came, pushing on and clamping the fuel pipes.

10) Prime the filter by pressing the plunger on the top of the filter housing until resistance can be felt, then press it some more for luck.

11) Start engine and go for a run, marvelling at how the truck will now rev freely and pull like a train.

PS. As this is the first chance for a week or so I've had to this, I wasn't sure whether the ECU had gone into sulk mode so I disconnected both batteries for half an hour and lobotomised it. Everything great now. Goes like a train!
    if it goes like a train....choo..choo
    .cant be a blue one
    .mine goes like a truck

but faster
    Tony
    Did I mention I have a BLUE one
    Tony

Comment

Hi m8. Glad you got to grips with that - you get a real feelin of satisfaction when you've done a job like that and saved a few quid to boot eh! When I changed mine a while back (I've got a 3.0TVeg 2nd Gen) I found that I could manage by just uncoupling the wire that fastens to the bottom of the filter and then unscrew it in situe (not sure how to spell that). Anyhow, managing to do it that way saved 'aving to uncouple all the pipes etc - makes it even easier!!
      Constantly Striving to Attain Lower Standards

Comment

Originally posted by nednil
        Hi m8. Glad you got to grips with that - you get a real feelin of satisfaction when you've done a job like that and saved a few quid to boot eh! When I changed mine a while back (I've got a 3.0TVeg 2nd Gen) I found that I could manage by just uncoupling the wire that fastens to the bottom of the filter and then unscrew it in situe (not sure how to spell that). Anyhow, managing to do it that way saved 'aving to uncouple all the pipes etc - makes it even easier!!
        I guess I could have done it in situ (note spelling ;-) if I'd parked the thing away from the skip. It was trying to remove a rib or two while I was trying to get the fuel filter out. One of the bad points of living in a narrow road opposite a builder I guess!

Mind you, he is building us a kitchen extension at 1940's prices!

Comment

Originally posted by fatfires
          if it goes like a train....choo..choo
          .cant be a blue one
          .mine goes like a truck

but faster
          Tony
          It IS a blue one. There he goes see... over pwllhyllnwlwyngwrll crossing look... (apologies to our welsh readers). Ivor (Ifor) was late for his appointment with the fat controller... (oh.. thats Tomos y Tank, sorry)

I speak a kind of 'wenglish' having spent 11 years in Harlech) ;-)

Comment

It IS a blue one. There he goes see... over pwllhyllnwlwyngwrll crossing look... (apologies to our welsh readers). Ivor (Ifor) was late for his appointment with the fat controller... (oh.. thats Tomos y Tank, sorry)

I speak a kind of 'wenglish' having spent 11 years in Harlech) ;-)
            i speak scotlish if that helps!... not much but it gets confusing sometimes
            nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

[QUOTE=Apache] Change Fuel Filter info...... abridged.......[QUOTE]

Thanks for this , I've had the filter in my garage for about 8 months and never done it , I decided to do it today , read this thread , and just went out and dit it in about 15 mins.

My only problem was not having proper tools to get the filter off the bracket , and the float switch, neither of which were hand tight ( not mine anyway ) had to stick it in a vice and make it square first ! anyway thanks for the info.

Mark
              http://www.darksidesolutions.co.uk - Web Solutions

Comment

Its good when something actually works out right innit?
                You forgot 12a.... like an idiot

Comment

Working...
                X