New noises - uh-oh?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New noises - uh-oh?

Now I've started winding the windows down because of the weather I'm noticing lots of noises I've never heard before.

1) Constant metallic rattling from front end. Sounds like loose guard or something like. I believe this could be something to do with a bush in the hubs as I seem to remember a thread on here a while back. Irritating more than anything. Does anyone have the link to the repair / replacement instructions?

2) Sudden and disturbing metallic 'crunch' or 'clang / squeak' type sound when on full right lock (ie when moving out of parking space at side of road). Very brief, then stops. A friend suggested anti roll bar bushes. Any thoughts?

3) Slight wheezing sound from shocks (presumably) on compression or rebound when driving over speed humps / kerbs etc. My Alfa used to do this and it was normal. Is it normal on these too or is it time to replace? Handling feels ok (or as good as it ever does for these things on the OEM shocks).

She has 70k miles on her, and the shocks are originals. Only been used lightly off road.
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

2 probably = the bump stop... time to grease ur finger up and have some fun lol

1 could be the thin metal pipe on top of the rad shaking lose... or the cam tensioner... or ne thing really...

Comment

Originally posted by Ste00
      2 probably = the bump stop... time to grease ur finger up and have some fun lol

1 could be the thin metal pipe on top of the rad shaking lose... or the cam tensioner... or ne thing really...
      Will look at the bump stops, but no.1 is not engine related. It is a rattle which is related to bumpiness of road surface. Sounds just like the wheel hub related one on here a bit back.
      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
        Now I've started winding the windows down because of the weather I'm noticing lots of noises I've never heard before.

1) Constant metallic rattling from front end. Sounds like loose guard or something like. I believe this could be something to do with a bush in the hubs as I seem to remember a thread on here a while back. Irritating more than anything. Does anyone have the link to the repair / replacement instructions?

2) Sudden and disturbing metallic 'crunch' or 'clang / squeak' type sound when on full right lock (ie when moving out of parking space at side of road). Very brief, then stops. A friend suggested anti roll bar bushes. Any thoughts?

3) Slight wheezing sound from shocks (presumably) on compression or rebound when driving over speed humps / kerbs etc. My Alfa used to do this and it was normal. Is it normal on these too or is it time to replace? Handling feels ok (or as good as it ever does for these things on the OEM shocks).

She has 70k miles on her, and the shocks are originals. Only been used lightly off road.
        Cure for all the above ............Close the windows and turn the aircon on
        Laugh!!! I nearly bought my own beer.

Paul

Comment

and the radio!

no1 might be suspension bushes.
          Tim
          Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Typical forum answers..............check above lol
            3.0 TD SSR-X LTD 1994 Black, sold and passed MOT

Comment

have you noticed if the strreing wheel feels slightly loose when going over the bumps it coulg be the steering idler
              if a politition is talking its lying

Comment

Your No1 sounds like the front hub bushes. If it sounds like you are driving over manhole covers at every bump in the road. See http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=13771 to fix. I can even sell you a set of bushes if you think its what you have.

No2 is steering arm stops - put a dab of grease on them. Originally they had rubber caps on but these get chewed up.

No 3 I shouldn't worry about.

Kev
                Last edited by exmee46; 30 June 2005, 21:09.

Comment

Working...
                X