Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust or Snorkel?

Hi everyone,
    My exhaust has just snapped again. Firstly it snapped just behind the box and as it looked in reasonable condition I got it welded. Now it has snapped again only this time just behind the flange for the rear section.

Even though it looks ok, I assume it needs replacing but there must be a certain amount of movement for it to want to snap? So I am thinking of Stainless Steel - full system or a Snorkel.

The only reason I thought of a snorkel was that perhaps they last longer and are perhaps cheaper than a stainless full system?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Also I'm currently in the Stoke on Trent area and I need to travel to Northumberland and back again at the weekend, I think it will be ok to do this as it seems to be running ok...................

Anyone know of decent places in either of these areas to get it sorted with snorkel or stainless system?

Cheers

A snorkel is for the air intake not an exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by andy
      A snorkel is for the air intake not an exhaust.
      DOH!

I've got a long way to go haven't I?

Oh well at you've saved me getting a snorkel fitted for absolutely no reason whatsoever!

Thanks Andy

So..... ahem can anyone advise me on the rest of the query?

Comment

Some on ebay at the moment.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...sPageName=WDVW

Comment

Originally posted by iggypop
          DOH!

I've got a long way to go haven't I?

Oh well at you've saved me getting a snorkel fitted for absolutely no reason whatsoever!

Thanks Andy

So..... ahem can anyone advise me on the rest of the query?
          I wouldnt worry, most people seem to think that a snorkel is an exhaust pipe. I've been asked a couple of times!
          Derek :
          1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd
          [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]S[/U][/COLOR][/B]ave [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]U[/U][/COLOR][/B]p [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]R[/U][/COLOR][/B]eadies [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]F[/U][/COLOR][/B]ast. Cause you're gonna need them!

Comment

It stands to reason though that a snorkel would be used for "breathing".

I assumed that they were like a scaled down exhaust you see on articulated lorries.

At least I know now though.

If you could get this type of exhaust it would stop it being damaged underneath too.

Ah Well.

Comment

go on... get the pipes stuck straight up!
              Had a few quotes from stainless people but cant afford it and got a second hand pipe for next to nothing.
              What i really want is exhausts to run down each side
              Tim
              Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Just spoken to my "welder". I'm going to get a straight pipe welded on and bypass the back box altogether! See how that runs for the time being. It doesn't seem any different running wise without it at the moment.

I do like the idea of the pipe straight up! Would have to cut a big hole in the body! Chances are the heat would crack the glass though! or my missus would stick her hand on it while it was still hot!

I think your idea of running them down each side is more sensible.

I think I've been playing with "Hot Wheels" for too long ha ha!

Comment

Assuming your running a diesel you should have an expansion joint up near the engine. It should be before any part of the exhaust is firmly attached to the body of the car. I'm thuinking that if you don't have this you will continue to break the exhaust. The diesel engines vibration tends to work harden the exhaust system and it breaks. The expansion joint is flexable and allows the engine to vibrate while the parts of the exhaust fixed to the boby of the car remain ridgid.
                  Pete. R.
                  93 SSRG
                  1KZ-TE
                  Canberra
                  Australia
                  [IMG]http://au.geocities.com/maverick_asraam/pictures_files/100_3790.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

Originally posted by maverick_sr71
                    Assuming your running a diesel you should have an expansion joint up near the engine. It should be before any part of the exhaust is firmly attached to the body of the car. I'm thuinking that if you don't have this you will continue to break the exhaust. The diesel engines vibration tends to work harden the exhaust system and it breaks. The expansion joint is flexable and allows the engine to vibrate while the parts of the exhaust fixed to the boby of the car remain ridgid.

Right, nice one. I shall check that out.

Comment

I would not run the pipes down the side as they would get crushed like the side steps when off road , unless you don't use off road. You could get some side pipes like the custom boys used in the 70's .
                      Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2
                        I would not run the pipes down the side as they would get crushed like the side steps when off road , unless you don't use off road. You could get some side pipes like the custom boys used in the 70's .
                        did you have to ruin my idea Rick!
                        would look nice tho - and my sidesteps are gone now
                        Tim

Comment

We shortened my exhaust and welded a new tailpipe to exit just behind the rear wheel - we havent lost it off road since then.
                          Tony went one better on his 4 runner and removed the back box and welded on part of the old pick exhaust to exit just in front of the rear wheel. makes it sound like is 2l petrol is a V8!!!

Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Linda
                            We shortened my exhaust and welded a new tailpipe to exit just behind the rear wheel - we havent lost it off road since then.
                            Tony went one better on his 4 runner and removed the back box and welded on part of the old pick exhaust to exit just in front of the rear wheel. makes it sound like is 2l petrol is a V8!!!

its not a V8?????

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by dirtydog
                              go on... get the pipes stuck straight up!
                              Had a few quotes from stainless people but cant afford it and got a second hand pipe for next to nothing.
                              What i really want is exhausts to run down each side
                              Did you have a Capri in the 70's, jacked up and sidepipes? As a schoolboy I only read "custom car" for the cars, honest mum.
                              Parts of your engine go up, stop then go back! Mm!

Comment

Working...
                              X