steering damper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• steering damper

Hi folks, does anyone know if it is possble to fit a damper to the steering on a 96 3.0ltr ?

Not easy, cos you have a rack. You only have the ball joint ends to clamp it to, could be done I reckon, as long as there is room forthe body of the damper along side the rack. A stock 2nd one is smaller dia than aftermarket ones.

and just out of curiosity....why? You shouldn't have any need of one unles your running really big tyres.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

I had an OME one fitted to my 94 4Runner (KZN 130)
      @africa4x4cafe
      [url]www.africa4x4cafe.com[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
        Not easy, cos you have a rack. You only have the ball joint ends to clamp it to, could be done I reckon, as long as there is room forthe body of the damper along side the rack. A stock 2nd one is smaller dia than aftermarket ones.

and just out of curiosity....why? You shouldn't have any need of one unles your running really big tyres.
        Hi Tony,
        It feels like there is play in the rack or the trackrod ends,every little bump is transmitted through the chassis, not so much the steering, thought it could be the shockers,(spoke to you before on this subject). Got m8 who owns an MOT station and he cannot find anything wrong ,he gave it a damn good goin over. When I bought the truck it had winter tyres on, took it back to Trade Direct (Worldwide)Ltd where I bought it from and the guy took it out on test and said that he could not find anything wrong but suggested that I tried a different set of tyres ,so he changed them to Bridgestone Dueler A/T 265/70 R16 112S,these are a lot quieter on the road but has not solved the problem,have tried adjusting the pressures from 25 up to 29 but still no joy.
        Beginin to think it me thats the problem,not driven this type of vehcle before,maybe expecting to smooth a ride?could do with coming down to your neck of the woods and letting you roadtest it.
        Could do with a service to hasn't had one since imported so needs all doing,is this something yuo could do if we came down and went walkabout for a couple of hours?
        Hope this all makes sence and don't bore the pants off all who view.
        cheers Martyn

Comment

rack mounting bushes or anti roll bar bushes or wheel bearings or track rod ends or....

Look at things in that order, shouldn't need a steering damper, I ran my 2nd gen without one for a while, didn't make a blind bit of difference with 31 inch Mud Terrains on.

You would be surprised how much anti roll bar bushes being shot upset the steering. I changed these on my LC and was amazed, used to drive like a dump truck, now drives like brand new.

Comment

Lots of people have reported that 3rd gens ride a little harsher than 2nd gens, but its very subjective, you could have uprated springs that will make it harder, its tricky. Need to have a go in it, (Getting flashbacks of Steadi's still unsolved noise!!! )

Can definatly sort you out for a service and check over if you want to come down, will get in touch via email or PM.

A worn trackrod end or rack should be easy to spot by the people who've looked at it, as it'll be loose, we've had a few people need to replace the steering rack support bushes lately.

Originally posted by trimman

Hi Tony,
            It feels like there is play in the rack or the trackrod ends,every little bump is transmitted through the chassis, not so much the steering, thought it could be the shockers,(spoke to you before on this subject). Got m8 who owns an MOT station and he cannot find anything wrong ,he gave it a damn good goin over. When I bought the truck it had winter tyres on, took it back to Trade Direct (Worldwide)Ltd where I bought it from and the guy took it out on test and said that he could not find anything wrong but suggested that I tried a different set of tyres ,so he changed them to Bridgestone Dueler A/T 265/70 R16 112S,these are a lot quieter on the road but has not solved the problem,have tried adjusting the pressures from 25 up to 29 but still no joy.
            Beginin to think it me thats the problem,not driven this type of vehcle before,maybe expecting to smooth a ride?could do with coming down to your neck of the woods and letting you roadtest it.
            Could do with a service to hasn't had one since imported so needs all doing,is this something yuo could do if we came down and went walkabout for a couple of hours?
            Hope this all makes sence and don't bore the pants off all who view.
            cheers Martyn

Comment

Lots of people have reported that 3rd gens ride a little harsher than 2nd gens, but its very subjective, you could have uprated springs that will make it harder, its tricky. Need to have a go in it, (Getting flashbacks of Steadi's still unsolved noise!!! )

Can definatly sort you out for a service and check over if you want to come down, will get in touch via email or PM.

A worn trackrod end or rack should be easy to spot by the people who've looked at it, as it'll be loose, we've had a few people need to replace the steering rack support bushes lately.
              Thanks Tony, look forward to hearing fromyou.
              Reading the threads earlier today about cam belts reminded me to ask about mine, trucks done 55,000mls would it be advisable to change it when you do my service?
              Martyn

Comment

They are recommended at 100,000Km, or 60,000miles, depends if your miles reads in KM's or Miles, or if the garage worked out the correct miles if changing it from KM to Miles. but on the 3.0 its quite a simple job that doesn't add much to the price of a service, seeing as your in there changing the other belts, its probably a good idea to change it for piece of mind.

It'll confuse your t/belt light though, it'll still come on at 100,000 on the clock, and the dash needs pulling out to get to the clocks to reset it. Or a friendly Toyota dealer who will reset it electronically for you.

Comment

They are recommended at 100,000Km, or 60,000miles, depends if your miles reads in KM's or Miles, or if the garage worked out the correct miles if changing it from KM to Miles. but on the 3.0 its quite a simple job that doesn't add much to the price of a service, seeing as your in there changing the other belts, its probably a good idea to change it for piece of mind.

It'll confuse your t/belt light though, it'll still come on at 100,000 on the clock, and the dash needs pulling out to get to the clocks to reset it. Or a friendly Toyota dealer who will reset it electronically for you.
                  Speedo reading is cosha at 57,500 miles,by the time we get to you for the service it will be close to the 60,000miles so might as well go for the full house,Lets do it

Comment

Working...
                  X