Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much better is a 3rd Gen

Hi all
    I'd like to know if the 3rd gen Surf is a big upgrade on a 2nd gen (or a 4Runner). I like the 4Runner because it is so simple compared to a lot of other stuff but it won't last forever and I'm wondering what to replace it with when the time comes. Also I'd like a higher spec.
    I have the following questions if any one can help
    Do all 3rd gens come with cruise control?
    Have they all got 16" wheels?
    Are there many manual ones around?
    Are they as reliable as the earlier ones?
    If any one has had both I'd be interested to hear from them
    Neill

not sure about specs
    but the main reason i would like one is for having a centre diff, so you can drive in 4x4 mode on tarmac - would make life easier in winter, when there is slush on roads etc
    Landcruiser Colorado
    Sub. Forester

Comment

Originally posted by NeillOP
      Hi all
      I'd like to know if the 3rd gen Surf is a big upgrade on a 2nd gen (or a 4Runner). I like the 4Runner because it is so simple compared to a lot of other stuff but it won't last forever and I'm wondering what to replace it with when the time comes. Also I'd like a higher spec.
      I have the following questions if any one can help
      Do all 3rd gens come with cruise control?
      Have they all got 16" wheels?
      Are there many manual ones around?
      Are they as reliable as the earlier ones?
      If any one has had both I'd be interested to hear from them
      Neill
      Cruise control seems rare enough.
      All 3rd Gen Surfs have 16"'s (Some US 3rd Gen Runners have 15"'s)
      Manual is just as common in 3rd as in 2nd Gens, ie not very common at all.
      Reliability should be just as good, of course as they are all newer they've not had as long to show up any longterm potential failings.

I previously had a 2nd Gen 2.4 Manual and currently have a 3rd Gen 3.0 auto and as I've commented before there really isn't loads to choose from between them, when I was shopping for this one I'd have been just as happy with another 2nd Gen but for this one was at the right price.
      Yes the 3rd gen is a little bigger and drives a bit smoother, but its not a huge difference, the improved 4wd system is handy whilst newer safety features such as airbags and ABS are piece of mind too, but in terms of everyday driving and usability I'd happily have either one. Downsides to the 3rd Gens are poorer front seats and a less rugged look, 2nd gen looks like more of a real truck, fold-down tailgate is also great for long loads etc, but is naturally a little less user friendly than the 3rd Gens tailgate.

Basicaly I reckon the 3rd gens will tend to be better and more reliable (not counting the added safety goodies etc) not because they any huge improvement or radical change over the 2nd Gens, but simply because they will always be younger.
      Maurice
      Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Thanks Morr
        I don't know if I could live without the fold down tailgate, it's one of my favourite bits! I quite often carry 8' x 4's and long lengths of wood.
        Plus more rugged is good in my book.
        Oh well that's the end of lusting after a 3rd gen

Comment

Thanks Morr
          I don't know if I could live without the fold down tailgate, it's one of my favourite bits! I quite often carry 8' x 4's and long lengths of wood.
          Hi,
          My son's Bro in-law had a very early 2nd gen and all that happened to it after 320 thousand miles was rusted off front wings and tail bottom.
          My third gen can carry same long lengths of timber (up to 16 feet / 5 metre) with rear window down OR 8ftx4ft sheet material on roof stays, but will it last as long ?
          At least one dealer in Scotland ONLY stocks /sells manual box Surfs.
          Good luck with your choice...

Comment

Thanks Morr
            Dont forget the chrome bits on the 2nd gen against the rather cheapo looking plastic bits on the 3rd gen. The 2nd gen does definitely look 'tougher'.

I drove 3rd gens and 2nd gens when I was looking for a big 4x4, and to be honest there was nothing in it apart from saving circa £3k of course! I took a 2nd gen (and mine has 16" wheels and 30" tyres)
            Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
              Dont forget the chrome bits on the 2nd gen against the rather cheapo looking plastic bits on the 3rd gen. The 2nd gen does definitely look 'tougher'.

I drove 3rd gens and 2nd gens when I was looking for a big 4x4, and to be honest there was nothing in it apart from saving circa £3k of course! I took a 2nd gen (and mine has 16" wheels and 30" tyres)
              The bumpers aren't plastic, they are metal just coated/painted. Having said that, very thin metal....

Comment

Hi

Just thought I'd add my pennies worth.

I have a 2.4 manual 1991 and have just bought a 1996 3.0 td auto from japan, it has tinted windows a bodykit front bumper, it's lowered, it's a beauty and it makes me feel young again .

I can't comment on things like driving off road, but, on the road the later car is much much better, it's more refined, it has more creature comforts, it has a fantastic pick up speed and doesn't feel so clumsy.

good luck
                [IMG][URL=http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a167/s

Comment

3rd gens have more leg room in the back (prob at the expense of load area). People say the seats are not nearly as comfortable.
                  Centre diff for full time 4WD
                  And if you are really lucky you get the intercooled engine (KZN185) with extra ooomph
                  Wood trim dash I think or that may be later
                  Fuel consumption gets marginally better as they get newer but not really noticeable.
                  and I also think its a different chassis - prob shared with a landcruiser variant and prob not as meaty

I think most people think the 2nd Gen have a certain ruggedness in look that softened subsequently. Get a 3.0ltr and you'll have no worries and save £3-4k.

Kev

Comment

Originally posted by exmee46
                    3rd gens have more leg room in the back (prob at the expense of load area). Nope, load bed is an inch or two longer than the 2nd Gen
                    People say the seats are not nearly as comfortable. Totaly agree here
                    Centre diff for full time 4WD Often usefull
                    And if you are really lucky you get the intercooled engine (KZN185) with extra ooomph KZN185 is any diesel 3rd Gen, intercooled or not
                    Wood trim dash I think or that may be later Only on the SSR-G
                    Fuel consumption gets marginally better as they get newer but not really noticeable.
                    and I also think its a different chassis - prob shared with a landcruiser variant and prob not as meaty Same Chassis as Landruiser Colarado, should be just a tough as a 2nd Gen, possibly tougher.

I think most people think the 2nd Gen have a certain ruggedness in look that softened subsequently. Get a 3.0ltr and you'll have no worries and save £3-4k.

Kev
                    Maurice
                    Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

So what does this mean and does it differ to the 2nd generation?

P.S Sorry if this is a stupid question..... newbie

Comment

Originally posted by Newboy

So what does this mean and does it differ to the 2nd generation?

P.S Sorry if this is a stupid question..... newbie
                        The 3rd Gen can be driven on the road in 4wd without problems, if we with the 2nd Gen were to try that we would wind up the transmission.

Trev
                        Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Thanks. I often wonder why the 2nd geb surf has up/down for 4 wheeled drive while the 3rd gen has a 'U' shape gear slector.

Just saw a 3rd gen on the road. a 'R' reg, it has slide down reverse mirror, that's coooool.

Comment

Originally posted by Newboy
                            Thanks. I often wonder why the 2nd geb surf has up/down for 4 wheeled drive while the 3rd gen has a 'U' shape gear slector.

Just saw a 3rd gen on the road. a 'R' reg, it has slide down reverse mirror, that's coooool.
                            Like I said, its got many mod cons
                            [IMG][URL=http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a167/s

Comment

Leg Room on 3rd Surfs (KZN/RZN/VZN 185s)

Hi

I just want to know, (especially for those who owned 2nd and 3rd generation Surf) if the newer surf 3 generation. provides better driver's legroom compared to the 2nd generation.

Thanks in advance,

Benny

Comment

Working...
                              X