timing belt warning light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• timing belt warning light

hi, just put deposit on ssr-x 3.0. Will cough the £10 donation when I get it I promise!! In the mean time, anyone got any comments on the following:

Truck is mint and original, low mileage and with a 12 month warranty, BUT timing belt light is on even though dealer claims it's been done recently. No reason to believe otherwise given the warranty, but what do you think? Is the light a common issue or should I change it anyway? If so will anyone do for the job or do you have a suggestion?

ta

Originally posted by contaminated
    hi, just put deposit on ssr-x 3.0. Will cough the £10 donation when I get it I promise!! In the mean time, anyone got any comments on the following:

Truck is mint and original, low mileage and with a 12 month warranty, BUT timing belt light is on even though dealer claims it's been done recently. No reason to believe otherwise given the warranty, but what do you think? Is the light a common issue or should I change it anyway? If so will anyone do for the job or do you have a suggestion?

ta
    The light is set to come on at 60k miles or 100k kilometers and is easy to re-set - there is a small rubber plug at the bottom of the instrument cluster that you remove and re-set a small push switch with a paper clip. Possibly the belt was replaced before the light came on but even so I would be curious as to why the dealer simply didn't just re-set it. If you think about the damage that could be done were the belt to snap it has to be worth phsyically checking to see if it actually has been changed. Either take someone with you who knows enough to remove the cam belt cover and check the belt or tell the dealer that to put your mind at rest you insist that a new belt be fitted before you go ahead with the purchase. My son is a mechanic and he tells me that the timing belt on the 3lt Surf is one of the easiest ones to change so a good dealer should be happy to do this. If the warranty is an 'insurance type' warranty then any come-backs you have is with the warranty company not the dealer.
    Do a search on the Forum to see if there has been any posts regarding the reputation of the dealer.
    The dealer wants to sell you the Surf and you are looking to buy it so you have the whip hand.
    Nil Illigitimi Carborundum

Comment

Thanks for that. I'll see if the dealer can prove the belt has been done. If he can I'll reset. If not I'll get it done.

Comment

Working...
      X