cambelt miles ????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cambelt miles ????

My 3.OL kzn 130 has now done 122500 miles (not km's) so im expecting the timing belt light to flick on at any time, supposing my trucks not been clocked (and seeing how many timing lights seem to come on out of synchronized miles, with worn drivers seats at 70,000 miles !!!) what miles should it light up at, im thinking its about 124,000 miles, can anyone confirm this (last belt was changed at 85,00 miles, as i have the toyota dealers receipt in with all the other receipts that came with it)

Thanks
    KC

Originally posted by charlski
    My 3.OL kzn 130 has now done 122500 miles (not km's) so im expecting the timing belt light to flick on at any time, supposing my trucks not been clocked (and seeing how many timing lights seem to come on out of synchronized miles, with worn drivers seats at 70,000 miles !!!) what miles should it light up at, im thinking its about 124,000 miles, can anyone confirm this (last belt was changed at 85,00 miles, as i have the toyota dealers receipt in with all the other receipts that came with it)

Thanks
    KC
    I am guessing that your speedo is reading 197000km and that you have converted this into miles to get the figure 122500miles, If this is correct then your light will come on at 200000km or 124274miles, although if you know that your belt was changed at 85000miles(136794km) then there is no need to change the belt untill 147137miles(236794km)......... ..

Comment

Originally posted by bell end billy
      I am guessing that your speedo is reading 197000km and that you have converted this into miles to get the figure 122500miles, If this is correct then your light will come on at 200000km or 124274miles, although if you know that your belt was changed at 85000miles(136794km) then there is no need to change the belt untill 147137miles(236794km)......... ..

thanks, the speedos already converted to miles .........i.e. not just a new face that reads miles with the odometer reading km's, but it has been regeared so it reads miles not km's on the odometer as well, which is why im interested in the number of exact miles, as my guess is`when the speedo was converted to miles it probably lost some`along the way !!!!!!!

Also reading a few searches on here i came across one which read that. when the rubber grommet is removed and the timing belt light is turned off, by pressing it with a paper clip, it resets the timing belt mile counter to zero i.e if you changed your belt at 70000km, and reset the light it would come on again at 170000 and not the preset time of 100000km intervals. this seems a little unrealistic as i thought the timing belt light was geared into the odometer

( actually thinking this would the timing light come on when my odometer clock reads 100000 200000 300000 etc and not 620000 1240000 186000 etc even though its been converted to miles, as the timing light is still taken off the odometer gearing and would not be able to recognise that its been changed from km,s to miles.

does that make sense ???

Comment

Originally posted by grind hog
        Also reading a few searches on here i came across one which read that. when the rubber grommet is removed and the timing belt light is turned off, by pressing it with a paper clip, it resets the timing belt mile counter to zero i.e if you changed your belt at 70000km, and reset the light it would come on again at 170000 and not the preset time of 100000km intervals. this seems a little unrealistic as i thought the timing belt light was geared into the odometer

does that make sense ???
        If you press the button to reset the light twice - the light comes on again. So, I have concluded that it is no more intelligent than a sort of bistable mechanical switch that is tripped by the odometer every time it goes around 100,000. Pressing the button merely puts into the alternate state. So in your situation, it is completely useless to rely on the light - you need to make some sort of conservative assesment of the true mileage and change every 100,000kms or 62,500 miles. If can't be sure - change it tomorrow and start counting from scratch.

Kev

Comment

Originally posted by grind hog
          thanks, the speedos already converted to miles .........i.e. not just a new face that reads miles with the odometer reading km's, but it has been regeared so it reads miles not km's on the odometer as well, which is why im interested in the number of exact miles, as my guess is`when the speedo was converted to miles it probably lost some`along the way !!!!!!!

( actually thinking this would the timing light come on when my odometer clock reads 100000 200000 300000 etc and not 620000 1240000 186000 etc even though its been converted to miles, as the timing light is still taken off the odometer gearing and would not be able to recognise that its been changed from km,s to miles.

does that make sense ???
          My odometer has also been converted to read miles, I assume this was done when it was first imported and read 93000km( i have the bimta certificate) I had the cambelt changed at 98000 and the light still came on at 100,000..

Comment

My odometer has also been converted to read miles, I assume this was done when it was first imported and read 93000km( i have the bimta certificate) I had the cambelt changed at 98000 and the light still came on at 100,000..
            I think that proves my theory - the warning light is simply related to the odo clicking over the 100,000 counter

Kev

Comment

But did they press the little button after doing the belt, if not it'll still come on at 100,000. The ECU (or what ever) does't know it was changed.

I know someone who did the cam belt early, pressed the button and it didn't come on at 100K, so my money's on it resetting for 100,000 when ever you press the reset button.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                But did they press the little button after doing the belt, if not it'll still come on at 100,000. The ECU (or what ever) does't know it was changed.

I know someone who did the cam belt early, pressed the button and it didn't come on at 100K, so my money's on it resetting for 100,000 when ever you press the reset button.

I wasn't going to tell you but i will......

I thought i would be clever and reset the light before it came on i.e change the screw over and turn the light on so that at 100000 the light would go off needless to say it didn't work and the light stayed on, so the dash was taken out twice by me and twice by the mechanic, he failed to notice that the light wasn't on and did the reset as well..

Comment

Working...
                X